Senior Software Engineer
What we’re doing
Did you know it takes a member of congress, on average, 45 days to respond to even the most basic constituent request? We view this as a fundamental breakdown in the UX of representative democracy and we're building a platform to fix it.
Indigov is a constituent relationship management suite for the modern representative. Our platform reduces average response times from weeks to minutes for 90% of incoming messages. After going through an exhaustive technical and legal review process with the House of Representatives, we recently closed our Series A and are live in hundreds of offices across federal, state, and local governments. We are expanding rapidly and need additional team members to join us in our pursuit to build the future of representative democracy.
Who we are
We are a group of technologists and entrepreneurs passionate about increasing the efficiency of representative democracy for both representatives and those they serve. We have been executives, technicians, and leaders at institutions such as U.S. Congress, Google, Dropbox, USDS, as well as large e-commerce, digital-first media, civic and gov-tech companies.
What You'll Do
- This role will have a high level of autonomy to design and implement solutions focused on improving core platform stability. The ideal candidate will be curious, determined, and an essential member of our team.
- Lead technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the company
- Make key architectural decisions about the development of the Indigov stack to future proof the company's products as much as possible
- Write concise, legible code and sensible tests
- Build products, systems, and services that impact our customers and their constituencies
- Own solutions end to end, managing complexity and stakeholders directly
- Develop and track metrics to determine priorities and measure progress
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Investigate and understand technical details of Zendesk settings, API calls, triggers, views
- Plan and execute system to improve trigger, view, and automation stability
- Become an expert of Indigov-Zendesk API layer, identify architecture and technical decisions that affect the entire team
- Partner closely with product, design, and client success to ensure business objectives are being met across the organization
- Build and lead an outstanding engineering team by mentoring engineers, fostering pragmatic decision-making, and leveraging technical expertise to drive improvement
- 8+ years of professional experience
- Deep knowledge of the technical architecture of web applications
- Ability to write high-quality and well-documented code
- Ability to write performant and extensible web components in React
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Strong portfolio of executed products, systems, and services that exist in production
- Experience collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment
- Ability to strongly articulate and defend your choices to peers and cross-functional team
- You are hard-working and feel a strong sense of ownership over your work
- You are able to work collaboratively in a team setting
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field
Technologies we use
• Zendesk APIs (Support, Sunshine, etc)
• Zendesk Apps Framework
What makes an ideal candidate
• Passion. Building beautiful products that take complex tasks and make them feel simple and intuitive
• Accountability. In a small team of early employees, it is crucial that we all own the outcome and quality of the work we do. The buck always stops with you!
• Grit. Working with government can be challenging in ways that startups frankly aren’t, but the scale and importance of the problems we are solving more than make up for it. We are looking for folks that share that mentality.
Working at Indigov
• Competitive salary, equity, healthcare, and 401k
• High-degree of autonomy, flexible remote work, and unlimited PTO
• Drive technical direction of the company and help improve the efficacy of the U.S. government
• Equal opportunity employer