Staff Data Engineer
Indigov is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to build out the data backend for our newest product line. This is a great opportunity to lead the construction of a scalable data system from the ground up. You’ll be joining a fast-paced, highly collaborative, and close-knit engineering team on a mission to improve the user experience of our representative democracy!
What You'll Do
- Design, and implement new data ingestion, processing, and storage infrastructure for our multi-tenant SaaS system
- Optimize database and data storage for maximum efficiency and cost effectiveness
- Work closely with the rest of the engineering team to deploy and manage data infrastructure (experience with Terraform is a plus!).
- Monitor and troubleshoot data infrastructure issues, implement improvements, and drive automation
- Refactor, optimize, and maintain our current ingestion pipeline codebase (built on Prefect as the chosen job scheduler) as needed
- Ensure compliance with process and security standards for infrastructure within the GovTech space
- Collaborate with teams spanning customer success, implementation, product, and InfoSec
- 7+ years of experience designing and implementing data infrastructure - ideally some of that at an early stage startup
- Broad as well as deep experience with multiple areas of data infrastructure: workflow orchestration (Airflow or Prefect), large scale data ingestion (Kafka, AWS Kinesis, or SQS), data storage for OLTP (AWS RDS, DynamoDB, ElastiCache) and OLAP (Redshift, Amazon Athena, Elasticsearch/OpenSearch)
- Passion for designing as well as building up solid, scalable data infrastructure
- Experience in schema design and query optimization
- Possess a strong understanding of cloud infrastructure, especially in areas of cost optimization
- Strong working knowledge of Python
- Excited to hit the ground running as a technical lead on the team
- Enthusiastic about mentoring early career engineers
- Works collaboratively in a remote team setting, communicating proactively
- Hard-working with a strong sense of ownership over your work
- Empathetic towards your coworkers and our customers
$200,000 - $230,000 a year
Ideal Candidates Are:
- Passionate about building beautiful and intuitive products that are moving Democracy forward.
- Accountable to one another, our clients, and the heavy responsibility of working with elected officials and constituents.
- Gritty as working with government and in a tech startup can be challenging, but the scale and importance of the problems we are solving more than make up for it. We are looking for folks that share that mentality.
Working at Indigov:
- Competitive compensation: We believe in equitable compensation, and practice what we preach. In addition to a competitive base salary, you can expect a 401(k), cost of benefits covered at 100% and equity.
- Health & Wellness: Flexible spending accounts to cover medical and dependent care, home office, and wellness stipend. 12+ weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO: with mandatory minimum time off, take a break to rest, recharge and refuel with our unlimited time off policy.
- High-degree of autonomy, flexible remote work, office space options
- Flexible & Remote-First: Choose a schedule that works for your lifestyle. Work from wherever you call home in the United States
- Mission-driven and values-based company culture that really, really matters to us!
- Drive the technical direction of the company and help improve the efficacy of the U.S. government
- Equal opportunity employer & emphasis on diversity, inclusion, and belonging at Indigov
What We’re Doing:
Did you know it takes a member of congress, on average, 45 days to respond to even the most basic constituent request? We view this as a fundamental breakdown in the UX of representative democracy and we're building a platform to fix it. We believe technology can help bridge the gap between governments and the people they serve. We’re looking for passionate individuals to drive and build a modern constituent service platform for government.
Indigov is a constituent relationship management suite for the modern representative. Our platform reduces average response times from weeks to minutes for 90% of incoming messages. Today, you can find Indigov being used at all levels of government, including United States Congress, State Legislatures, Governors, Attorneys General, County Executives, Mayors, and City + County Councils. We are expanding rapidly and need additional team members to join us in our pursuit to build the future of representative democracy.
Who We Are:
We are a group of technologists and entrepreneurs passionate about increasing the efficiency of representative democracy for both representatives and those they serve. As of 2023, we are about 85 employees and continuing to grow. We lead with our mission and values, and are committed to building and maintaining a positive and connected work culture.