Security Operations Engineer
San Francisco/Remote /
What we’re doing
Did you know it takes a member of congress, on average, 45 days to respond to even the most basic constituent request? We view this as a fundamental breakdown in the UX of representative democracy and we're building a platform to fix it.
Indigov is a constituent relationship management suite for the modern representative. Our platform reduces average response times from weeks to minutes for 90% of incoming messages. We have spent the last two years going through an exhaustive approval and legal review with U.S. Congress and are now live with member offices. We are expanding rapidly and need additional team members to join us in our pursuit to build the future of representative democracy.
Who we are
We are a group of technologists and entrepreneurs passionate about increasing the efficiency of representative democracy for both representatives and those they serve. We have been executives, technicians, and leaders at institutions such as U.S. Congress, Google, Dropbox, USDS, as well as large e-commerce, digital-first media, civic and gov-tech companies.
What you'll do
• Work directly with our Chief Information Security Officer as our first security operations hire to build this org from the ground up and protect the data of Indigov and democratic participants
• Work across various compliance frameworks using automation to solve security challenges both technical and organizational.
• Detect and respond to company-wide security incidents
• Develop security incident response playbooks and processes
• Track and monitor key indicators of services like uptime, reliability, performance, etc
• Identify, measure, and monitor service level indicators
• Identify and mitigate security vulnerabilities before an attacker exploits them
• Communicate risks and mitigations across multiple audiences with varying levels of sensitivity
• 1 - 5 years of security operations experience, ideally at a fast growing startup
• Sysadmin experience in *nix (RHEL, Debian, Ubuntu)
• Configuration management with tools like Ansible, Chef, Puppet, SaltStack
• Experience in Terraform or other infrastructure management preferred
• Experience with Docker/Swarm/K8s
• Experience with Cloud (AWS and Control Tower)
• Love to figure out how things work and solve problems
• Excited to learn new things, build new things, and automate lots of things!
What makes an ideal candidate
• Passion. Building beautiful products that take complex tasks and make them feel simple and intuitive
• Accountability. In a small team of early employees, it is crucial that we all own the outcome and quality of the work we do. The buck always stops with you!
• Grit. Working with government can be challenging in ways that startups frankly aren’t, but the scale and importance of the problems we are solving more than make up for it. We are looking for folks that share that mentality.
Working at Indigov
• Competitive salary, equity, healthcare, and 401k
• High-degree of autonomy, flexible remote work, and unlimited PTO
• Drive technical direction of the company and help improve the efficacy of the U.S. government
• Equal opportunity employer