Senior Product Designer
Washington, DC /
What we’re doing
Did you know it takes a congressional office, on average, 45 days to respond to the most basic constituent request? We view this as a fundamental breakdown in the UX of representative democracy and we're building a platform to fix it. Indigov is a constituent relationship management suite for modern representatives. Our platform reduces response times from weeks to minutes for 90% of inbound communication.
After going through an exhaustive technical and legal review process with the House of Representatives, we recently closed our Series A and are live in hundreds of offices across federal, state, and local governments. We are expanding rapidly and need additional team members to join us in our pursuit to build the future of representative democracy.
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to join us in our D.C. office or remotely, who can work with our team to conceptualize and design the digital products that power American Democracy. Come create visual systems to improve communication between the People and their elected representatives.
What you’ll do—
As a Senior Product Designer on the Product Design team at Indigov, you will play a pivotal role in our design process. You’ll be helping to develop the strategies, concepts and designs of our core platform, constituent-facing websites, and more.
Our designers are responsible for leading discovery workshops and design sprints, conducting iterative research, designing smart, useful, beautiful solutions, and working in tandem with our Development, Product Management, and Client Success teams across the end-to-end product lifecycle.
What you’ll need—
• The ability to understand and build empathy toward our customers and their constituents by conducting usability testing, competitive research, contextual interviews, and more.
• The ability to see the forest and the trees—help shape and understand our product vision, while also displaying a strong attention to detail.
• Comfort with rapid prototyping. We run an agile product design and development process with the goal of putting testable propositions in front of customers as quickly as possible.
• A strong point of view on what you are designing—its purpose, who it’s for, why it matters—and the ability to convincingly share it with others. Representing and speaking for design decisions will mean presenting internally and sometimes to clients.
• A deep passion for equitable design and a track record of advocating for it. Accessible products are our minimum goal—we aim higher.
• A beautiful design aesthetic and strong fundamental UX skills. We believe that the way something looks and the way it works are not distinguished from each other by users. It’s not enough for only one to be true—both, together make the highest quality user experience.
• Experience advocating for, building and maintaining design systems.
• A highly collaborative nature—we don’t design in a vacuum and toss work over the wall when it’s ready. Be prepared to mix it up daily with your cross-functional teammates.
What you’ll bring—
• A strong product design portfolio showing problem-solving acumen with previous work samples. We want to see a diverse portfolio that exhibits excellent application of fundamental design principles, as well as your own point of view.
• 4+ years of product design experience, working on the end-to-end product lifecycle
• A proven and repeated success record of leading design work within a cross-functional team
• Expertise using Figma (other tools of the trade are a bonus, but Figma is a must)
• Baseline understanding of OS-specific guidelines including Apple's Human Interface Guidelines and Android's Material Design, as well as WCAG Accessibility guidelines
• Knowledge and application of human-centered design methodologies
• A passion for your craft
• A passion for democracy
The values we care about the most
• Passion. Impact is a core component of our democracy. Build beautiful products that take complex tasks and make them feel simple and intuitive.
• Accountability & ownership. In a small team of early employees, it is crucial that we all own the outcome and quality of our work. The buck always stops with you!
• Grit. Working with government can be challenging in ways that other startups aren’t, but the scale and importance of the problems we are solving more than make up for it. We are looking for folks that share that passion!
Working at Indigov
• Remote work environment
• Competitive salary, equity, healthcare, and 401k
• High-degree of autonomy, flexible remote work, and unlimited PTO
• Equal opportunity employer