Senior Software Engineer
Washington, District Of Columbia /
Tech – Engineering /
Industry Dive is looking for a full-stack senior software engineer who is curious and motivated to join our growing engineering team. Senior team members will have the opportunity to contribute to the day-to-day projects of the team as well as mentor and assist other team members in leveling up.
We use a variety of open-source technology and our core application is written in Python using Django. We spend most of our time building and maintaining Industry Dive's main product — a series of industry focused news sites with an internal content management system — by adding new features and improving performance for a better user experience. We use the Agile Scrum process to foster cross-functional, self-organizing teams. You'll have the opportunity to work on multiple initiatives, including data products, newsroom tools, client facing projects and dev-ops.
Industry Dive strives to provide an inclusive and welcoming environment. One of our core values is for employees to bring their unique perspective and personality to work. Your voice and the work you’ll do here matters to your teammates, other teams within the company, and our customers and readers.
What you can bring to the table:
- 5+ years programming experience
- Exposure to coaching/mentoring fellow engineers
- Experience building/working with web applications, particularly content management systems
- Experience with HTML/CSS/JS/Python
- Familiarity with SQL and relational database design
- Experience with Git/GitHub/GitLab or other version control tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience creating/updating documentation for other developers and non-technical users
- Ability to work well both individually and collaboratively
- Eagerness and interest in working on a variety of projects
We would love to talk to you if you also have any of the following:
- Experience with the Scrum framework
- Experience with agile programming practices, including TDD, BDD, and pair programming
- Experience or interest in data engineering: e.g. data munging, building ETLs, query optimizations, database administration, data visualizations
- Experience or interest in test automation
- Experience or interest in user experience or interface design
- A passion for or experience in sharing and teaching new skills
Some of our tools:
- Python: Django
- Google Cloud Platform
- Big Query
Applicants who belong to traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Industry Dive is an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
If you feel comfortable doing so please feel free to note which pronouns you use in your application (for example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, ze/zir/zirs, etc.)
Industry Dive will not be able to sponsor applicants for work visas.
About Industry Dive
Industry Dive is a leading business journalism company. More than 11 million decision-makers across 20 competitive industries rely on its exclusive insight and analysis delivered through 22 publications. Industry Dive was founded in 2012 to provide business leaders with the information they need to move industries forward. Our team of reporters, editors, designers, and marketers deliver insights and programs that spark innovation, fuel growth and shape agendas in every industry we cover.
Industry Dive was selected as a "Best Place to Work" by the Washington Post in 2020, 2019, 2018, and 2017 and by the Washington Business Journal in 2017, 2016 and 2015.