San Francisco, CA /
Initialized Capital, an early-stage venture capital firm with over $1B assets under management, is hiring a Partner for our investment team. We were the earliest investors who wrote the very first check to 10 unicorns. 1 for every year we've existed: Coinbase, Instacart, Cruise, Flexport, Rippling, Standard Cognition, Ro, Patreon, and Blend. The startups in our portfolio are worth over $100B in market value today. And we're grateful that our Managing Partner, Garry Tan, has been recognized by the Forbes Midas list the last 3 years in a row.
As a Partner, you will be responsible for working with the current portfolio as well as identifying, leading and executing on new investments. This role requires a high level of attention to detail, prompt and clear communication skills, analytical problem-solving ability, and an orientation toward execution. This full-time role reports to the COO and is based in San Francisco, California or New York, New York.
- Evaluate and lead potential investments within the Partner’s area of expertise. Research and write investment memos as needed. Advocate for investments in which the Partner has strong conviction.
- Work with portfolio companies to steer them towards product market fit and future fundraising rounds; serve on company boards and assume fiduciary responsibility, if needed.
- Develop and maintain relationships with others in the ecosystem including VCs, startup-founders and potential talent for startups.
- Write thought leadership content for the Initialized Capital blog and social media.
- Represent Initialized Capital publicly by speaking at and attending high-profile conferences on the firm’s behalf. Share knowledge from these events with the team.
- Develop and drive programs, tools, and/or resources (including hosting events) for founders related to the Partner’s areas of expertise.
- Track progress for companies that are “owned” by the Partner by keeping relevant portfolio company metrics up-to-date and providing analysis for Portfolio Review.
- 15+ years of work experience including previous direct investing experience in a relevant discipline, or relevant transaction advisory or consulting experience gained in venture capital, private equity, investment banking or strategy consulting.
- Entrepreneurial background and operating approach. Engineering, Talent/Culture, or Growth backgrounds a plus. Founding or being on the leadership team at multi-stage startups (e.g., going from early stage to 500 employees) also a plus.
- Proven investing track record, preferably with early stage start-ups. Investing focus in any of the following a plus: health care / health tech, ML/AI, data science, or consumer software products.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally across a diverse group of partners and operations team members. Be able to quickly build trust with other team members as well as entrepreneurs and broader strategic networks.
- Excellent active listening skills combined with the ability to develop a nuanced point of view that can be comfortably shared and refined with other team members. Ability to know the right questions to ask, as well as when to listen and learn.
- Strong deal pipeline and venture ecosystem relationships.
- Demonstrated strong written communication skills with an emphasis on thoughtful, clear communication. Experience simplifying and distilling complex concepts for publication.
- Strong organizational skills with excellent prioritization and task management skills.