San Francisco, CA /
Initialized Capital, an early-stage venture capital firm with over $1B assets under management, is hiring a Partner for our investment team. We were the earliest investors who wrote the very first check to 10 unicorns. 1 for every year we've existed: Coinbase, Instacart, Cruise, Flexport, Rippling, Standard Cognition, Ro, Patreon, and Blend. The startups in our portfolio are worth over $100B in market value today. And we're grateful that our Managing Partner, Garry Tan, has been recognized by the Forbes Midas list the last 3 years in a row.
As an Investment Principal, you will be responsible for working with the Investment team to identify, evaluate and help execute on new investments. This role requires a high level of attention to detail, prompt and clear communication skills, analytical problem-solving ability, and an orientation toward execution. This full-time role reports to the COO and is based in San Francisco, California or New York, New York.
- In conjunction with Partners, work with portfolio companies to steer them towards product market fit and future fundraising rounds. Follow up on next steps and input data into Initialized's software system.
- Review and evaluate potential early-stage investment opportunities; take initial pitch meetings with founders and identify promising investments for Partners to take through the firm’s investment process.
- Author investment memos and related diligence documents. Perform comprehensive, in-depth company and industry research as well as complex portfolio and benchmarking analysis. Synthesize large amounts of information, distilling key insights to share with Partners.
- Develop resources and programs for portfolio companies.
- Represent Initialized Capital at events and identify/host events related to subject matter expertise and/or portfolio company needs.
- 7+ years of work experience in an operating role at a startup. Engineering, Talent/Culture, or Growth backgrounds preferred. Working at multi-stage startups (e.g., going from early stage to 500 employees) also a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally across a diverse group of partners and operations team members. Be able to quickly build trust with other team members as well as entrepreneurs and broader strategic networks.
- Excellent active listening skills combined with the ability to develop a nuanced point of view that can be comfortably shared and refined with other team members. Ability to know the right questions to ask, as well as when to listen and learn.
- Demonstrated strong written communication skills with an emphasis on thoughtful, clear communication. Experience simplifying and distilling complex concepts for publication.
- Strong organizational skills with excellent prioritization and task management skills.