VP of Engineering (m/f/d)
Berlin, Germany /
(We are still hiring! - Due to covid-19, we adopted a remote interview process until further notice)
We believe that every author should have an equal chance to succeed. Therefore, our mission is to discover hidden talents and turn them into globally successful authors. This is how we make it happen:
Inkitt is our self-publishing platform where anyone can upload and share their stories for free. We analyze our users' reading behavior with a unique algorithm to identify potential bestsellers , which we then license for our Galatea app. When licensed and published on Galatea, we enhance the author's vision, adding vibrations and sound to turn their stories into immersive experiences for our users. Currently, our most successful author is Sapir Englard, a 24 year old author from Israel who uploaded her story to Inkitt in 2018 - her story is selling faster than Harry Potter on Galatea all around the world! > Check out Inkitt on Euronews here!
Currently, we are a team of 60 passionate, dedicated, and hard-working entrepreneurs, engineers and artists. Our aspirational mission, the high-performing culture, and a strong user-obsession convinced Investors of Google, Spotify, or Uber. Inkitt also attracted experienced talents from DeliveryHero, n26, or Glovo. Join us, too, and build the Disney of the 21st Century with us!
The VP of Engineering will steer, support and coordinate the engineering team in its projects’ from start to finish while monitoring and planning the budget. They will constantly ensure the team has all the necessary tools and knowledge for a higher performance and self-development and will be able to connect with engineers and developers. Ultimately, the VP of Engineering will be a strategic problem-solver responsible for design requirements being met.
- Mentor and guide a team of top-notch engineers across all levels to execute the vision and roadmap by ensuring the best engineering lifecycle practices are followed
- Spend 75% of your time on building a recruiting machine
- Create and update staffing plan throughout the entire year
- Monitor employee performance, provide leadership and guidance in order to coach, motivate and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development
- Improve people processes to further build a high-performance engineering culture of accountability, quality, agility and fun
- Manage the annual bottom-up budget for the engineering department (headcount, prototyping costs, equipment costs, etc.)
- Liaise between product managers and development leads. Challenge ideas and specs, gather realistic timelines, set deadlines and timeline with product managers
- Create and enforce resource allocation philosophy and strategy to work on new features, bugs, refactoring and forward-thinking developments
- Be responsible for meeting feature launch deadlines
- Report to the CEO
- Proven track record of success in leadership positions
- Exceptional people management skills
- A strong affinity for technology and empowering staff to do their best work
- Aspiration to raise the bar of the team
- A positive, decisive, persistent, collaborative, enabling and empathic leadership style
- Approach of a data driven, curious, agile and excellent change manager
- Analytical skills. You are a thinker who seeks to validate assumptions with data
- Problem-solving skills and goal to always improve the workflow
- Organizational and process-thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills. You’re a good listener and can explain a technical problem to a non-technical person easily in English
- Ability to give constructive feedback
- Ability to think big and inspires others to do so as well
- Have the backbone to stick to your convictions when they are challenged and express disagreement to strongly present your stance
- Flexibility and ability to adapt
- Ability to focus on impact and the big picture
- The need to constantly seek self-development
What we offer you beyond the above challenge:
• We encourage your personal development and empower you to broaden your knowledge and skills across multiple departments. This position offers you a valuable work which impacts our company from your first day onward.
• We have a very open style of communication and encourage everyone to constantly live this all the way up to the C-Level.
• We are fast - that's why it will never be boring here. If you are a challenge seeker, this is the place for you!
• Of course, we organize regular team events, provide free fruit, and dinner in our office.
• We have just launched sponsored initiatives about cross-functional lunches, city-exploring events and more!
• We have a flexible working policy, an unlimited budget for books and - for all the bookworms out there - unlimited credits for our Galatea App ;)
Does this sound like somewhere where you can make a lasting, positive impact? Then, apply now! We are looking forward to speaking with you!