HR Senior Manager
San Francisco, CA
Talent and Operations – Human Resources
Are you passionate about building a movement to make sure every student in California has a world-class public school? Innovate Public Schools is looking for a part-time Senior Manager of Human Resources, reporting directly to the VP, Talent and Operations and based in the San Francisco office. The HR Sr. Manager is responsible for managing HR functions for our organization, including recruiting, hiring, and onboarding staff, as well as administering payroll and benefits, and corresponding with employees about leaves of absence, workers’ compensation, HR policies and procedures, employee relations and other HR functions as needed. This is a part-time (0.5 FTE), exempt position.
About Innovate Public Schools
Innovate Public Schools is a nonprofit organization focused on ensuring that all Bay Area and Los Angeles students, particularly low-income students, students of color, and students with disabilities, receive an excellent education. We’re building a movement of families, educators, and business and elected leaders who together will make this vision a reality. We build the capacity of parents and educators to innovate and act together to create world-class public schools, and we publish easy-to-understand school quality data and research that highlights both problems and solutions.
- Properly manage and process bi-weekly payroll.
- Be the liaison between employees and our HR PEO network in the management of company benefits and retirement plan.
- Answers questions from Innovate’s staff on employee issues related to payroll, benefits, leaves of absences, PTO management, etc.
- Assist in development and management of the Talent / Ops team’s goals and budget, and monitor progress toward both.
- Provide professional and effective management to Manager, Talent & Technology in the following:
- Creating, monitoring, and maintaining the hiring process for open positions
- Providing HR support to staff and supporting the refinement and implementation of key personnel policies and practices
- Developing and maintaining a human resources system that meets our organization's information needs
- Maintaining and optimizing our org-wide performance evaluation process
- Training managers/supervisors on preparing and executing employee evaluations
- With VP, Talent and Operations, support managers in development of Performance Improvement Plans for corrective action and creating / maintaining appropriate documentation as needed for legal compliance
- Occasional travel between Innovate office sites in the Bay Area.
- Passionate about Innovate Public Schools’ mission to initiate, support, and advocate for great public schools for low-income children and children of color.
- Successful experience handling HR operations and/or talent functions in an organization: Possesses a PHR, SPHR, or SHRM certification, with at least 3 years working effectively in managing strong operational systems and practices, and/or managing talent or HR functions at another organization.
- A collaborative project manager: Can manage multiple projects involving different individuals, teams and vendors to meet collective goals on time and with excellence, and can model and extend these practices throughout the organization.
- A supportive manager and developer of people and teams: Has experience supervising and developing staff and creating a productive, inclusive team culture.
- Unquestionable integrity and experience managing challenging personnel situations
- Keenly aware of issues impacting organizational culture: Driven by a commitment to equity, and considers decision through that lens. Can lead and strengthen an organizational culture that is deliberately diverse, equitable and inclusive.
- An excellent communicator and organizational ambassador: Can clearly communicate both one-to-one and with a staff as a whole. Models the values of our organization (excellence, integrity, urgency, and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion) in our office and as a common practice.
- Transportation: Valid driver’s license, insurance and access to a vehicle required
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Innovate offers very generous benefits for half-time employees, including 5% employer contribution to 401k, as well as paid time off (PTO) at a rate of 0.077 hours of PTO per hour worked (after two years, this increases to 0.096 hours of PTO per hour worked). Innovate also offers eight hours per year floating holiday, and four hours per year paid volunteering time off. Innovate also provides a reimbursement of up to $80 per month to compensate for your usage of a personal cell phone for work purposes.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
Innovate Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer, and takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.