Community Canvasser - Mid Peninsula (East Palo Alto, Redwood City)
East Palo Alto, CA & Redwood City, CA /
Organizing – Canvassing /
Are you concerned about the educational future of the kids in our most vulnerable communities?
Are you a student, parent, or passionate individual looking for a job that allows you to get paid to do meaningful, social justice work?
Join our team at Innovate Public Schools in fighting for quality education in the Bay Area!
The crisis in public education in the Bay Area is a growing problem.
Here on the penninsula, one of the wealthiest areas in the country and the world, less than 50% of African American and Latino students are proficient in the core subjects of English and Math. These outcomes continue to leave generations of students far behind and access to future wealth and economic opportunities out of reach.
Innovate Public Schools is working to be a part of the solution by collaborating with families to develop a new, high quality, free public school focused on meeting the needs of the community. We are hiring passionate individuals who are committed to being a part of a movement to change the outcomes for today’s youth.
Join a team that is driven by the collective mission of championing quality education for all!
About Innovate Public Schools
Innovate Public Schools is looking for a self-motivated, outgoing and persistent person who is passionate about closing the achievement gap and expanding high quality school options for students in San Jose.
The community canvasser will be part of a canvassing team working to engage and empower parents to be agents of change in their local public schools and advocates for new high quality public schools, including charter schools. The community canvasser will play an integral role in building the base of San Jose parents working with Innovate as volunteer parent leaders.
The community canvasser should be effective at building relationships with parents in low-income communities and inspiring them to take action. The canvassing work will be issue-oriented, but non-partisan and not affiliated with any political campaign.
Training, needed resources and canvassing tracking/data management tools will be provided.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
-20-25 hours per week, maximum -- flexible depending on schedule.
The work environment characteristics and the physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must also be able to walk and/or stand for long periods of time (up to 4-6 hours per day)
This position may require working varying hours including weekends, nights and holidays. It requires constant use of independent judgment, self motivation, and capability of doing all the above duties with minimal supervision. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills in person and on phone
- Bilingual Spanish preferred but not required
- Ability to memorize a short script and adjust as needed to audience
- Open to learning and feedback
- Ability to meet reasonable number of dials per night/ door knocks per shift, to be determined
- Flexibility in work schedule and an ability to manage time independently
- Basic computer and smartphone skills
- Able to walk/stand for long periods of time (4-6 hrs/day)
- Punctuality – shifts have pre-set start times
- Positive attitude, detail-oriented, highly motivated and organized
- Ability to work respectfully with people of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Passionate about the mission and core values of Innovate Public Schools
- Have access to and use of a smart phone
- Engage with parents and community members about the quality of their local public schools and new public school options coming to their area within the San Francisco community by canvassing via:
- Invite parents to attend local informational meetings during door-to-door work and in follow up phone calls
- Identify potential parent leaders who are interested in organizing as volunteers with Innovate to improve their local schools and advocate for more high quality school options
- Potential non-partisan electoral outreach
- Build relationships with small-business owners, community-based organizations and other stakeholders in order to reach more parents
- Identify potential locations for canvassing
- Collect and manage data, review for accuracy and complete daily and weekly reporting on field activities
- Support logistics at parent meetings and events
- Report weekly to and coordinate with assigned manager.
Door-knocking in neighborhoods
Canvassing at grocery stores
Tabling and approaching people to start conversations at public locations
Engaging community members at events, and
Innovate Public Schools leverages a three-pronged approach to improving local schools:
- We provide parents in high-need communities leadership training and coaching so they can effectively advocate for better schools and sustain community efforts over the long-term.
- We publish easy-to-understand school quality data and research to inform the public about which schools are excelling and which are failing and to highlight the most effective solutions.
- We work with educators from both school districts and charter schools to start excellent new public schools and redesign chronically low-performing schools through our Start-up Schools Fellowship.
- To learn more, visit: www.innovateschools.org
Location: Virtual, until further notice, at which point the position will be based out of Innovate’s Peninsula office.
Submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and what you would bring to Innovate Public Schools along with your resume.
Application deadline: open until filled.