Communications Associate, San Francisco - Peninsula
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco Team – Communications / Development
About Innovate Public Schools
Innovate Public Schools is a nonprofit organization focused on improving public schools in the Bay Area to make sure that all students - especially low-income students and students of color - have access to schools that will prepare them for success in college, careers and life.
We publish easy-to-understand data and research to inform the public about which schools are excelling and which ones are struggling, as well as about the policy and school-based solutions that work. We work with educators from both school districts and charter schools to start excellent new public schools and redesign chronically low-performing schools. And we support and empower parents in high-need communities so they can effectively advocate for better schools and sustain community efforts over the long term.
The Communications Associate will be focused on creating powerful written and multimedia content, as well as managing our social media presence and regional email campaigns to engage and grow our audience of parents, education advocates, and elected officials. This is the ideal role for someone who is passionate about graphic design, social media, measuring impact, working on political campaigns, raising up marginalized voices, and collaborating with diverse groups of co-workers (including researchers, teachers, and community organizers).
You should be eager to produce a high volume of quality content to support our community organizing work. You should have basic photo, video, and social media skills, and be interested in strengthening your paid media, digital research, analytics, and community management skills. The position reports to the Regional Vice President for the Peninsula. This person will support both our Peninsula team (40%), San Francisco team (40%) as well as cross-regional communications (20%). It will require regular travel throughout the Bay Area and could be based out of our San Francisco or Redwood City office.
A Day In the Life
- You start your day responding to messages and comments from users on Facebook.
- From there, you look at the Facebook pages of Innovate partner organizations and peers to see if there are any cross-promotional opportunities or ideas for new content.
- By mid-morning, you are drafting new creative assets in support of our latest campaign event or data release.
- Midday, you attend a team strategy meeting with community organizers, a researcher, and a schools expert to discuss overall campaign progress and next steps.
- In the early afternoon, you check and track the metrics for the content you created and posted the previous week, taking note of any insights from these metrics and sharing them with the campaign team.
- In the late afternoon, you design a bilingual flyer for an event one of our organizers is hosting.
- Before you head out, you put the final touches on an email and schedule it to go out to subscribers the following morning.
- Visual Steward: Own and implement the various elements of the Innovate style guide across digital and print assets.
- Graphic Design: Create compelling visual multimedia content designed to engage Innovate’s target audiences, including images for social media and blogs, designing flyers, and touching up reports.
- Community Management: Represent Innovate online through robust and consistent community management in our brand voice.
- Social Media Content Creation: Own content creation for Innovate’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Paid Media Support: In collaboration with the Regional VP, plan, execute, and measure digital marketing campaigns supporting regional goals.
- Subscriber Communications: Draft and send weekly emails to our regional subscribers; occasionally draft and send text messages to regional subscribers; coordinate with other regions on overall editorial calendar for all subscribers.
- Photo & Video Management: Capture photo and video as needed; occasionally manage external photographers and videographers to capture photo and video of Innovate events; manage photo and video file storage.
- Metrics and Analytics: Regularly track the performance of social media content and paid advertising
- Digital Research: Leverage both quantitative data and insights and qualitative learnings to support the development of Innovate products, organizing campaigns, and messaging
- Web Content: Update Innovate’s website content to ensure it reflects and supports campaign goals.
- Spanish Translation: Conduct simple translations of copy as needed; manage external Spanish translators to translate emails, blog posts, reports, and other Innovate products. Review translations, ensuring compliance with internal Spanish glossary.
- Occasionally assist with other administrative tasks related to Communications.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
Innovate offers very generous benefits including health and dental insurance, 20 days paid time off per year (increasing to 25 after 2 years of employment), two floating holidays, 14 paid fixed holidays per year (including office closure between Dec 24th - New Year’s Day), and 5% employer contribution to 401k.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
Please submit your resume and thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in the position, and the unique skills and qualities you would bring to this leadership role.
Innovate Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.