Director of Web Development
Washington, DC /
Insomniac Design is a global digital agency headquartered in Washington D.C., with offices in London, Bucharest and Chisinau. We’re an agile, determined and innovative team organized by functional areas of expertise — Creative, Technology, Strategy, and Management. We specialize in human-centered design with deep focus on design thinking and digital transformation.
The Director of Web Development is responsible for leading Insomniac Design’s technology team to success by setting technology standards and processes, building high-quality, robust products, and guiding the professional growth of the engineering team. This an opportunity to shape the future of technology at an innovative digital agency, with tangible impact not only on software architecture, but team culture and business decisions.
This role will be expected to have a high level of technical proficiency in front-end and back-end web development, in a variety of frameworks. More importantly, the Director of Technology will be responsible for researching and assessing new technologies, as well as improving development processes, and for implementing both effectively on client projects. If you’re an experienced lead or engineering manager able to balance the 30,000 foot view alongside getting in the weeds, this might be the role for you!
- Grow, manage and develop the Web Development team.
- Lead and guide Development team members in the implementation and execution of web development projects. Oversee day-to-day, hands-on web development across client projects.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to create innovative solutions for our business and clients.
- Review functional and technical requirements for new and potential clients, and raise issues.
- Define and document web development standards and processes in partnership with our Director of Digital, Director of Development, internal web team, and clients.
- Serve as client point of contact across individual development projects as needed.
- Coordinate with 3rd party hosting providers and oversee the support and monitoring of client products.
- Ensure Q/A practices are implemented and met across all work and projects.
- Encourage creativity and risk-taking to foster team member growth and independence. Manage team by ensuring each team member is individually set up for success in their role. People management responsibilities include but are not limited to coaching and mentoring, professional development, problem solving, evaluation, and performance management.
- Stay current on web development best practices, technologies, tools and languages, and actively explore implementation for client projects.
Skills & Experience
- Proficient in implementing responsive & adaptive design.
- Background in managing web developers and teams.
- Analytics implementation including tagging structures, Google Tag Manager and Analytics, custom analytics implementation.
- Certification(s) in Agile / Scrum, AWS, Aquia Drupal a plus.
Applicant Eligibility: Please note, only candidates who are US citizens or able to work on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship are eligible to apply. No recruiters or staffing agencies please.