Sr. Manager, Engineering
Downtown Los Angeles, CA
Technology – Engineering
As the premier global provider of Strategic Enterprise Education (SEE), InStride enables employers to provide career-boosting degrees to their employees, through leading global academic institutions across the U.S., Mexico, Europe and Australia. InStride helps organizations achieve transformative business and social impact by unlocking the power of education, through advanced technology-enabled experiences for learners and corporate partners alike.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, this role will lead the development and sustainment of our Learner platform and experience. The ideal candidate would have previous experience building web and mobile digital products for large enterprises, proven track record building and growing engineering teams from the ground up, and a passion for our mission.
- Lead and mentor cross-functional team of engineers (architects, front end, back end, and test) to build, deliver and sustain a world class learning services platform
- Be able to lead and be a technical subject matter expert for platform architecture discussions and decisions
- Help define, contribute and support the wider Technology strategy
- Work closely with SRE, release engineering, security, product, UX, project management, business development, customer success, growth marketing and executive teams to meet business needs
- Ensure engineering best practices, and implement tools and/or frameworks for software development, agile, security, accessibility, compliance, performance, HADR, etc.
- Ensure on time, on budget and high quality deliverables that maximize business value
- Proactively communicate and manage stakeholder expectations
- 3+ years experience leading and delivering large scale, global, high traffic and highly available consumer facing web applications and mobile apps.
- Comfortable leading multidisciplinary engineering teams (front end, back end, test)
- 3+ years experience delivering projects using agile methodologies
- 3+ years experience working with distributed onshore/offshore teams
- 2+ years experience with data technologies (i.e. RedShift, Hadoop, PostgreSQL, Spark)
- Experience with machine learning based recommendation and/or personalization engines
- Experience delivering SaaS solutions for large enterprise customers
- Enjoys leading, developing, and mentoring engineers towards reaching their potential while delivering high quality on time deliverables
- Experience leveraging a variety of open source technologies, working with cloud services, leveraging modern UI frameworks (Angular, React) , backend (RESTful APIs, Node.js, python, microservices, serverless, etc)
- Strong process orientation and attention to detail
- Excited by the challenge of building a world-class business that delivers not only high revenue growth and compelling ROI, but also has a meaningful impact on society
- Exposure to higher education institutions through direct experience and/or passion for the education space
- High EQ, comfort with ambiguity and a “no job too small” startup mentality
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science related field and/or work experience
InStride is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, medical condition, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.