Sr. Manager, Engineering - Learner Experience
Downtown Los Angeles, CA
InStride is the global learning services enterprise for employers to provide career-boosting and life-changing educational degrees and credentials to their employees, through the highest- quality universities and colleges. We aim to become the indispensable human capital partner of employers, helping transform them into learning enterprises and unlocking the full potential of the university ecosystem.
As a public-benefit corporation, InStride was formed as a partnership between the industry-leading corporate online education arm of Arizona State University (ASU) and the TPG RISE fund. Building on the university’s successful corporate partnerships with companies like Starbucks and Uber, thousands of degrees from best-in-class public universities will be earned, workplace skills improved, key talent retained and employees lives’ positively impacted.
Founded to champion a movement that moves beyond simple access to higher education, InStride ensures employers can empower their employees to take a meaningful next step in their careers. For more information, please visit www.instride.com.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Manager of Engineering for our Learner Experience. In this role, you will lead the development and sustainment of our Leaner platform and experience. The ideal candidate would have previous experience building web and mobile digital products for large enterprises, proven track record building and growing engineering teams from the ground up, and a passion for our mission.
- Lead and mentor cross-functional team of engineers (architects, front end, back end, and test) to build, deliver and sustain a world class learning services platform
- Be able to lead and be a technical subject matter expert for platform architecture discussions and decisions
- Help define, contribute and support the wider Technology strategy
- Work closely with SRE, release engineering, security, product, UX, project management, business development, customer success, growth marketing and executive teams to meet business needs
- Ensure engineering best practices, and implement tools and/or frameworks for software development, agile, security, accessibility, compliance, performance, HADR, etc.
- Ensure on time, on budget and high quality deliverables that maximize business value
- Proactively communicate and manage stakeholder expectations
- 3+ years experience leading and delivering large scale, global, high traffic and highly available consumer facing web applications and mobile apps.
- Comfortable leading multidisciplinary engineering teams (front end, back end, test)
- 3+ years experience delivering projects using agile methodologies
- 3+ years experience working with distributed onshore/offshore teams
- 2+ years experience with data technologies (i.e. RedShift, Hadoop, PostgreSQL, Spark)
- Experience with machine learning based recommendation and/or personalization engines
- Experience delivering SaaS solutions for large enterprise customers
- Enjoys leading, developing, and mentoring engineers towards reaching their potential while delivering high quality on time deliverables
- Experience leveraging a variety of open source technologies, working with cloud services, leveraging modern UI frameworks (Angular, React) , backend (RESTful APIs, Node.js, python, microservices, serverless, etc)
- Strong process orientation and attention to detail
- Excited by the challenge of building a world-class business that delivers not only high revenue growth and compelling ROI, but also has a meaningful impact on society
- Exposure to higher education institutions through direct experience and/or passion for the education space
- High EQ, comfort with ambiguity and a “no job too small” startup mentality
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science related field and/or work experience