Director, Infrastructure and Operations
Downtown Los Angeles, CA
InStride is the global learning services enterprise for employers to provide career-boosting and life-changing educational degrees and credentials to their employees, through the highest- quality universities and colleges. We aim to become the indispensable human capital partner of employers, helping transform them into learning enterprises and unlocking the full potential of the university ecosystem.
As a public-benefit corporation, InStride was formed as a partnership between the industry-leading corporate online education arm of Arizona State University (ASU) and the TPG RISE fund. Building on the university’s successful corporate partnerships with companies like Starbucks and Uber, thousands of degrees from best-in-class public universities will be earned, workplace skills improved, key talent retained and employees lives’ positively impacted.
Founded to champion a movement that moves beyond simple access to higher education, InStride ensures employers can empower their employees to take a meaningful next step in their careers. For more information, please visit www.instride.com.
The Director of Infrastructure and Operations will lead and develop our cloud, site reliability, release, security, data, and internal IT engineering teams as we build the foundation of our learning platform. The ideal candidate would have experience defining and rolling out infrastructure, best practices, tools and frameworks in the SRE/DevOps/Data/Security/IT space, have a proven track record building and growing multidisciplinary engineering teams, managing cloud hosted products (preferably in a SaaS environment serving large companies) and a passion for our mission.
- Lead and mentor cross-functional team of engineers (SRE, Build, Release, Security, Data) to deploy and support a world class learning services platform
- Be a technical subject matter expert in SRE, DevOps, Security and general IT
- Help define, contribute and support the wider Technology strategy
- Work closely with platform engineering, product, UX, project management, business development, customer success, growth marketing and executive teams to meet business needs
- Ensure best practices as well as implement tools and frameworks for SRE, DevOps, build and release, security, compliance, cloud engineering and internal IT
- Ensure on time, on budget and high quality deliverables that maximize business value
- Proactively communicate and manage stakeholder expectations
- Travel as necessary (up to 25%)
- 5+ years experience supporting large scale, global, high traffic and highly available consumer facing web applications and mobile apps.
- 3+ years of director level experience preferred
- Comfortable leading multidisciplinary engineering teams
- 3+ years experience working with distributed onshore/offshore development teams
- Experience supporting SaaS solutions for large enterprise customers
- Enjoys leading, developing, and mentoring engineers towards reaching their potential while delivering high quality on time deliverables
- Experience leveraging a variety of open source technologies and cloud services for SRE, CI/CD, build/release automation, monitoring, security, and internal IT.
- High affinity for automation
- Strong process orientation and attention to detail
- Excited by the challenge of building a world-class business that delivers not only high revenue growth and compelling ROI, but also has a meaningful impact on society
- Exposure to higher education institutions through direct experience and/or passion for the education space
- High EQ, comfort with ambiguity and a “no job too small” startup mentality
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science related field and/or work experience