Director, Business Development
Downtown Los Angeles, CA
InStride is the global learning services enterprise for employers to provide career-boosting and life-changing educational degrees and credentials to their employees, through the highest- quality universities and colleges. We aim to become the indispensable human capital partner of employers, helping transform them into learning enterprises and unlocking the full potential of the university ecosystem.
As a public-benefit corporation, InStride was formed as a partnership between the industry-leading corporate online education arm of Arizona State University (ASU) and the TPG RISE fund. Building on the university’s successful corporate partnerships with companies like Starbucks and Uber, thousands of degrees from best-in-class public universities will be earned, workplace skills improved, key talent retained and employees lives’ positively impacted.
Founded to champion a movement that moves beyond simple access to higher education, InStride ensures employers can empower their employees to take a meaningful next step in their careers. For more information, please visit www.instride.com.
InStride is looking for an experienced Director of Business Development who wants to jump in head-first and establish groundbreaking partnerships with corporations and large employer executives. You will directly contribute to the growth of InStride by bringing career boosting educational credentials to employees.
We are looking for a dynamic, high-performing, and relationship-driven business development expert with 4+ years of experience selling to executive level decision makers. The ideal candidate has a history of exceeding sales quota, loves the thrill of the hunt, and is capable of building and growing a pipeline of business as a result of outbound prospecting and high activity metrics. They should demonstrate a passion for what they are selling, an ability to foster long-term relationships, and experience in navigating complex organizations.
This position will report to the Chief Customer Officer.
- Master our InStride offerings and the competitive landscape.
- Comfortably sell to VP & C-Suite executives, navigating through multiple decision makers in large complex organizations.
- Carry a significant quota; meet or exceed activity goals or revenue targets by strategically closing new business.
- Methodically qualify, build, and manage an accurate sales funnel, and forecast accurately and transparently.
- Build and maintain pipeline to reflect appropriate quota coverage, with detailed notes in Salesforce.
- Consistently exceed your quarterly and annual sales quota and be well-compensated for doing so.
- Sell our solutions with a consultative approach in a high-energy environment.
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and always be a team player, while still maintaining a drive to individually compete and be at the top of the leaderboard.
- Quickly define white space with prospects to identify and hone in on the highest yield path to partnership.
- Maintain a high volume of activity including outbound calls, emails, & social selling.
- Skillfully deliver web based and in-person presentations.
- Maintain professional and proactive communication with management regarding activities, customer needs, and other business opportunities.
- Travel as necessary (up to 50%).
- At least 4+ years of business development experience; excellent sales motion and closing skills and strong customer focus.
- Strong track record of achievement, preferably selling educational or to corporations at the C-Suite level.
- Proven closer with experience navigating 100K+ ACV deals.
- Previously trained in consultative / value based selling.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university; MBA is a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems to track deal pipeline.
- Driven by desire for excellence in your craft, constantly striving to improve.
- Proactive, self-starter with good work ethic and ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Socially aware, deeply empathetic and quickly able to establish rapport in a variety of settings.
- Excited by the challenge of building a world-class business that delivers not only high revenue growth and compelling ROI, but also has a meaningful impact on society.
- Exposure to the functioning of higher education institutions through direct experience or deep affiliation with the education industry.
- Ability to facilitate and enable people to collaborate with each other; and promote collaboration with partners e.g. with Universities, corporate clients and the team.
- High EQ, comfort with ambiguity and a “no job too small” startup mentality.