Engineering Manager (CLR)
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their education and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome solutions. And that's where you come in:
We’re hiring engineers, who are passionate about technology and education, to help build and enhance the core components of Canvas Credentials
Like our customers, we value a learning culture and expect our engineers to work closely with product and support to build the best possible solutions, not just write code to a spec. We put our money where our mouth is. Engineers at Instructure enjoy an annual company-wide tech conference, biweekly tech talks, and quarterly Hackweeks, all designed to encourage as much exploration and learning as possible.
Much of our work is open source, including our primary product (Canvas).
Check us out on Github: www.github.com/instructure.
Who we are:
- We are full stack engineers with experience building web-scale services in a loosely coupled but highly integrated system.
- We are a mixed stack and polyglot team with a deep commitment to quality and to using the right tech for each problem we solve.
- We use Kotlin and our platform runs on AWS.
What you will do:
- Help us shape a completely new, strategic system from scratch - lead your team through requirements clarification, design and architectural decisions.
- Own and execute systems end to end - this includes deployment, maintenance, and proposals on how to run the system cheaper, better and more efficiently.
- Collaborate with Design, Product, and Program Management to deliver high-quality features that bring value to clients. Build and promote self-powered engineering team(s).
- Collaborate with product leaders and peers to provide consistent user experiences across all our educational products.
- Communicate with clarity across multiple stakeholders, collaborate with business partners and development teams, and influence decisions at all levels of the organisation.
- Line manage a team that writes testable, performant code that can scale to tens of millions of requests per day.
- Mentor and teach other engineers, encourage best practices, and foster an inclusive culture.
What you will need to know/have:
- Extensive software engineering experience in Java, Scala or Kotlin.
- Experience managing software engineering teams.
- Broad engineering understanding that includes back-end, front-end and Cloud technologies (e.g. AWS serverless and asynchronous message-based systems).
- Ability to solve complex problems requiring in-depth analysis.
- Knowledge of Agile best practices.
- Capable Communicator.
- Passionate about learning new stuff.
- Knowledge of and adherence to coding best practices.
- Commitment to code quality with experience testing up and down the pyramid.
- Ability and desire to work in an open and team-oriented environment.
- BS in Computer Science or related degree preferred.
Get in on all the awesome at Instructure:
- A fun, friendly, and helpful company culture
- Competitive compensation
- Private Medicover healthcare + cafeteria plan/SZEP card
- Employee stock purchase program
- Wellness motivation through PandaFit
- An extra week off for the whole company every year
- Employee recognition program
- Goal-setting, proactive reviews, and internal training
- Employee assistance program
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.