Software Engineering Manager (Canvas)
Budapest, Hungary /
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their educations and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome. And that's where you come in:
We’re hiring a Software Engineering Team Lead, who is passionate about technology and education, to help build a new team and bring new features into our Canvas and Canvas Quizzing products.
The team lead role is a combination of the technical expertise of a software engineer with additional responsibility around the happiness and productivity of a cross-functional team. You’ll be expected to be a people, process, and technical leader for the team. Your team will be made up of software engineers and software engineers in test working in concert with a product manager and a designer. You and your team will be responsible for the development, maintenance, and production operations of your services. Like our customers, we value a learning culture and expect our engineers to work closely with product and support to build the best possible solutions, not just write code to a spec.
What we do:
- We build innovative web applications that rely on modern tools to create engaging user experiences.
- We are cloud native. For this job, that means collaborating with your team to craft low-latency, high availability web services that can provide exceptional user experiences.
- We grow great products by investing in the teams that create them: the hallmarks of our engineering culture are constructive code review, a bias to action, thoughtful mentorship, and regular communication.
- This is a hands on development position - you will be coding around 50% of the time, and managing a team the other 50%.
What you'll do:
- Manage a team of 4-6 software engineers.
- Be a talented mentor and leader — help your team achieve their career goals through one on one meetings, periodic reviews, and trainings.
- Ship great high-quality software on-time and on-budget.
- Use your strong technical skills to make technical decisions, provide technical feedback to your team through code reviews, and write code alongside your teammates.
- Work independently and take initiative while working across different time zones and locations.
- Collaborate effectively with product and program management, and UI/UX to translate user and business needs into superior experiences.
- Work in Ruby and Rails and learn new technologies as needed.
Other things we look for:
- Background in system architecture and API design a plus.
- A passion for people and for software.
- BS or greater in Computer Science preferred.
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.