Kotlin/Java Software Engineer (Credentials)
Budapest, Hungary /
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their education and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome solutions. And that's where you come in:
We’re hiring engineers, who are passionate about technology and education, to help build and enhance the core components of Canvas Credentials.
Like our customers, we value a learning culture and expect our engineers to work closely with product and support to build the best possible solutions, not just write code to a spec. We put our money where our mouth is. Engineers at Instructure enjoy an annual company-wide tech conference, biweekly tech talks, and quarterly Hackweeks, all designed to encourage as much exploration and learning as possible.
Much of our work is open source, including our primary product (Canvas), check us out on Github.
This position is about Canvas Credentials.
Who we are:
- We are full-stack engineers with experience building web-scale services in a loosely coupled but highly integrated system.
- We are a mixed stack and polyglot team with a deep commitment to quality and to using the right tech for each problem we solve.
- We use Kotlin and our platform runs on AWS.
What you will do:
- Build, deploy, migrate and maintain core components of Canvas Credentials.
- Write testable, performant code that can scale to tens of millions of requests per day.
- Mentor and teach other engineers, encouraging best practices, and fostering code reuse.
What we look for (the more is better):
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience in Java or Kotlin
- Skilled full-stack developer including experience in AWS serverless, and asynchronous message-based systems.
- Experience building and shipping using Docker.
- Experience with NoSQL (preferably MongoDB)
- Ability to solve complex problems requiring in-depth analysis.
- Knowledge of Agile best practices.
- Strong communication skills in English
- Passionate about learning new stuff.
- Knowledge of, and adherence to coding best practices.
- Commitment to code quality with experience testing up and down the pyramid.
- Ability and desire to work in an open and team-oriented environment.
- BS or greater in Computer Science is preferred
Get in all the awesome of Instructure:
- A fun, friendly, and helpful company culture
- Competitive compensation
- Private Medicover healthcare + cafeteria plan/SZEP card
- Employee stock purchase program
- Wellness motivation through PandaFit
- Employee referral bonus program
- An extra week off for the whole company every year
- Employee recognition program
- Goal-setting, proactive reviews, and internal training
- Employee assistance program
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.