Software Engineer - RUBY
Hungary - Remote /
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their educations and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome. And that's where you come in:
We’re hiring senior engineers, who are passionate about technology and education, to help build new features into our Canvas product.
What's it like to work at Instructure? Our product team doesn't throw spec documents over an imaginary wall only to have engineering build something and throw it over another wall to QA. Our teams are collaborative — we sit together, brainstorm together, and build together because we believe that's the only way to make superior software. We're committed to innovation — so much so, in fact, that we hold quarterly hack weeks to let individuals and teams build pet projects and aim for the fences with radical new ideas.
What we do:
- We're building innovative web applications. RESTful, easy to consume APIs and single-page, rich JS applications are our bread and butter.
- Our polyglot team has interest, and experience, in multiple languages and a strong preference for simple, elegant solutions to customer needs.
- We are cloud native: that means building fault-tolerant, highly available applications that can scale up to meet load and scale back down.
What we look for:
- Breadth of experience across languages and frameworks.
- Deep knowledge of the Ruby language.
- Experience with implementing complex services and applications in Node.js.
- Familiarity with developing cloud-based web applications, preferably with AWS.
- A history of unit and other automated testing to ensure application quality.
- Capable communicators passionate about product development and user experience.
- Experience mentoring and developing other engineers.
- Autodidacts who love continual learning and exploration.
- Engineering leaders who care about coding standards and writing lean, maintainable software.
- BS or greater in Computer Science preferred (but definitely not required).
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.