Data Science Engineer
Salt Lake City, UT
Instructure was founded to define, develop, and deploy superior, easy-to-use software. (And that’s what we did / do / will keep on doing.) We are dedicated to the fight against iffy, mothbally, shoddy software. We make better, more usable tools for teaching and learning (you know, stuff people will actually use). A better connected and more open edtech ecosystem. And more effective ways for everyone everywhere to access education, make discoveries, share knowledge, be inspired, and do big things. We accomplish all this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome. So here’s your opportunity.
We are looking for a Data Science Engineer to help us build the next generation of smart products to improve teaching and learning. Our Product Research team is responsible for prototyping new ideas that leverage data and can seamlessly integrate into our existing products. Your focus will be on operationalizing and streamlining machine learning models into production.
What you will be doing:
- Working with both the data science team and the engineering organization to build new feature and products.
- Turning prototypes into demos that can be used for beta testing.
- Collaborating with other members of the Product Research team (including data scientists, researchers and analysts) to deliver on timelines.
- Helping to raise the profile of analytics and data science in Education.
- As needed, assisting with ad-hoc analyses and data organization.
Here's what you will need to know/have:
- Experience (2+ years)
- Working with data directly and through data warehouses
- Working in a team focused on delivering data science projects
- Deploying and maintaining machine learning models
- Bachelor’s in a quantitative discipline (math, engineering, physics etc.)
- Or equivalent experience (2+ years beyond what is listed above)
- Expert knowledge of cloud deployment technologies, bonus for AWS
- Expert knowledge of at least one programming language, bonus for Python and/or Clojure
- Upper-Intermediate knowledge of SQL and database technologies
- Intermediate knowledge of web development
- Familiarity with machine learning and statistics fields
- Experience working with a VCS (git, svn etc.)
- Experience with Containers, extra bonus for Docker
- Knowledge of the EdTech space
- Familiarity with our products (Canvas, Bridge, Arc and Gauge)
Get in on all the awesome at Instructure.
- Competitive salary, equity, and 401k
- Employee stock purchase plan
- 100% paid medical, dental, disability, and life insurance
- HSA program, vision, voluntary life, and AD&D
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid time off, 9 paid holidays, and flexible work schedules
- Gym club reimbursements and rewards-based fitness tracking
- iMacs or Macbooks
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
At Instructure we participate in E-Verify and yes, in case you didn't catch it from the above, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.