Senior Backend Engineer: Platform / Scalability
Palo Alto, CA /
Instrumental is creating the future of manufacturing, empowering hardware companies to optimize their factories through the use of artificial intelligence. Thanks to Instrumental, companies can:
- increase yields (the percent of goods passing inspection);
- decrease dark yield (the escape of goods that should have failed inspection); and,
- trace everything (to narrowly scope recalls to only those goods affected).
Our product is delighting customers, who now have access to technology that produces results previously unattainable. The Instrumental customer list is growing across a diverse set of manufacturing applications, and we are asking you to help us scale to the needs of that entire market.
We’re a small but mighty team that consistently works collaboratively, are supportive of each other, and are all highly energized by the opportunity for such a large impact. We actively work to promote an inclusive environment.
About the role:
Instrumental is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer with JVM expertise to help scale our infrastructure to handle millions of pieces of manufacturing data per day.
While we do not ask for familiarity with all of the following, our stack includes a number of web services written in Scala / Play, AWS (mostly ECS and RDS), Elasticsearch, a Python machine learning cluster, and TypeScript on our frontend. Instrumental Engineering values good tools, robust tests, and frequent deploys.
Here's what we think is required for success:
- Three or more years professional experience writing and maintaining stable production-quality code.
- Experience with building systems in a public cloud environment (AWS preferred).
- Experience scaling applications from processing millions of items per month to millions of items per day.
- Motivation to solve big problems in an analog industry at an early-stage environment
What you’ll do and how you’ll do it:
- Solve problems, whether refactoring or feature building, through clean, concise, and well-tested code. Recent examples include establishing a new server infrastructure for machine learning algorithms and adding an alerting API for our customers.
- Lead an endeavor to improve customer experience, fatten our data pipeline, expose new APIs, or scale our infrastructure, taking product specifications through the prototyping phase to production-ready solutions.
- Communicate progress in the development cycle from sprint planning to daily stand-ups to retrospectives.
- Grow as an engineer by learning from others and by becoming somebody that people go to for technical help.
JVM/Scala, Play, AWS, Docker, Elasticsearch, Postgres-