Business Development Representative
Palo Alto, CA /
Founded by a team of ex-Apple engineers, Instrumental provides a collection of software technologies that enable brands and manufacturers to optimize their manufacturing process to cut waste by orders of magnitude compared to conventional solutions. This waste is non trivial: 20 cents on every dollar spent in manufacturing is wasted in mistakes, experiments, downtime, yield loss, scrap, and returns. Our customers are top electronics companies, including Lenovo, Motorola, Meraki, and other well-known brands.
As our first Business Development Representative, you will be most customers’ first introduction to Instrumental, helping to identify customer pain points, and collaborate closely with sales and marketing to refine product messaging and find new ways to engage our growing market.
This is an opportunity to be a founding member of Instrumental’s sales development team. This means that you will have an active hand in developing Instrumental’s playbooks and processes,
This role is ideal for someone who wants a high degree of ownership over their own outcomes, and is excited about iterating and running controlled experiments as we dial in the function. Successful candidates will have ample opportunity for career growth as Instrumental continues to scale.
This role reports into the Head of Demand Generation.
What you'll do:
- Drive qualified meetings to the sales team through multi-channel outreach campaigns (which you will help develop!).
- Run controlled experiments and A/B tests to optimize outreach for response rates and high-converting meetings.
- Actively contribute to Instrumental playbooks and best practices.
- Follow up with marketing generated leads, prospect into key accounts, and develop qualified pipeline through outbound efforts.
We're looking for someone who...
- Is a self-starter. You can hit the ground running, even when working from home. You have 1-2 years experience in a sales development or related function, ideally in a high-growth SaaS environment.
- Has exceptional communication skills. You love communicating in every way. You thrive on learning from customer and prospect conversations and turning that knowledge into insight. You love making complex concepts simple.
- Has a genuine curiosity about gadgetry. The most successful salespeople will be excited to learn about emerging technology and engineering techniques and speak to them with both curiosity and passion. No one expects you to be an engineer but we hope that you come eager to learn how to speak to one.
- Thrives on teamwork. You know that you succeed if the team succeeds, and are excited to partner across sales and marketing to drive revenue outcomes, not just meetings.
- Is a pioneer. You’re not afraid of ambiguity and are energized by problem solving. The playbook isn’t written yet, you will help write it!
Bonus points if...
- You have a background in mechanical engineering or a similar field, or demonstrated interest in manufacturing.
- You're familiar with Outreach, Salesforce, or similar sales enablement tools.
We’re a small but mighty team that consistently works collaboratively, are supportive of each other, and are all highly energized by the opportunity for such a large impact. We actively work to promote an inclusive environment, and value passion and an ability to learn. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description.
All candidates must have an unrestricted right to work in the U.S.