Product Designer: Web Application
Palo Alto, CA /
Instrumental is an enterprise software product that is enabling a paradigm shift in how physical products are created. Manufacturing is an underdeveloped space, especially from a design standpoint, and yet it affects global markets and everything we touch every day.
We're a small but mighty team that works collaboratively, supports each other, and consistently enjoys each others’ company. We actively work to promote a warm and inclusive environment.
About the role
Instrumental’s Product Designer will play a key role in shaping the future of our software product and user experience. Working closely with our software engineering and product teams, you will take features and products from concept through validation, design, launch, and iteration.
As the first dedicated product designer at Instrumental, you will create a strong foundation for our UX practice, guiding our user research, mockups, design library, and usability testing. This is a broad role focusing on UX research and design; graphic design helps but is not a primary focus.
What you’ll do
- Partner with our product team to identify user needs, craft product strategy, and create roadmaps
- Own the design of user interaction and workflows throughout our products
- Conduct interviews and studies to identify UX improvement opportunities and to validate proposed changes
- Lead a collaborative design process from conception to launch and beyond
- Share insights with the company and contribute to everyone’s understanding of our users as well as the role of design in software development
- Identify opportunities to build a consistent visual style and brand
We’re looking for someone who
- Has 4+ years of experience as a software product designer, B2B experience preferable
- Has solved complex problems with elegant, shipped products
- Can effectively articulate the thought process behind design decisionsIs comfortable prototyping at varying levels of fidelity
- Can conduct user research at varying stages of the product life cycle
- Actively solicits and provides design feedback from internal teams
- Has demonstrated strong interaction and visual design capabilities
- Understands and advocates for best practices in modern UI design
When you apply
Please submit a link to your design portfolio. This is required for consideration for this position.