Machine Learning Engineering Manager
Palo Alto, CA /
We’re hiring a Machine Learning Engineering Manager at Instrumental to lead and scale our machine learning team. You will guide and grow our team working on computer vision and machine learning to develop ways to find and solve hardware problems on world’s manufacturing lines.
We believe in end-to-end ownership, so the ML engineers on our team own the problems end-to-end: starting from the inception of the problem, to acquiring the necessary data, working on models, and then switching to productization mode, where they work with engineers on other teams to deliver the AI-powered experience to the customer. In our work, we’re combining deep learning with the traditional computer vision and machine learning approaches. Currently the team is distributed across California and Eastern Europe.
As a leader of the team, you will be responsible for guiding and growing the team, finding the right balance between research, product, and infrastructure work, driving the hiring process, fostering the right communication patterns between the engineering teams, product, and operations, as well as being involved hands-on where you deem appropriate.
Success in the First Year
- Scale the team to 5-7 engineers
- Deliver the next generation our ML-powered manufacturing product
- Widening the lead on our best-in-class defect and anomaly detection algorithms for the manufacturing industry
- Refine our processes to support the team distributed across the globe
- Deliver the tooling and infrastructure which lets us deploy new ML models and algorithms to mass production lines in a reliable way
- Earn the respect and appreciation of the engineering team as a leader
What You'll Need to be Successful
- 5+ years of relevant experience in any combination of leading technology teams and working on machine learning problems
- Demonstrated experience in machine learning, deep learning, computer vision, or related fields
- A background in computer science or a closely related engineering discipline.
- An obsession for understanding and solving customer needs and making a difference in their work
- A track record of growing both the team and people within the team
- The ability to communicate complex ideas effectively with technical and non-technical team members alike
We are an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce in an inclusive working environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All candidates must have the unrestricted right to work in the United States.