Product Manager: Web Application
Palo Alto, CA /
Manufacturing represents half of the world’s GDP, but 20 cents of every dollar spent is wasted on things like scrap, rework, product returns, mistakes, experiments, and underutilized human resources. Put simply: It’s too hard to solve problems in manufacturing.
Instrumental is a software company with the mission of eliminating waste and accelerating product maturity in manufacturing by empowering hardware companies to optimize their factories through artificial intelligence and unprecedented data access. Thanks to Instrumental, startups and Fortune 500 hardware companies alike are increasing yields, accelerating time-to-market, and reducing the frequency of recalls and production delays.
We're a small but mighty team that works collaboratively, supports each other, and consistently enjoys each others’ company. We actively work to promote a warm and inclusive environment.
About the role
As a Product Manager at Instrumental, you will bridge the gap between customer needs, the engineering team, and business goals. This role will be a split of tactical and strategic work that will grow with our product and company.
What You’ll Do
- You’ll spend the first month or so getting up to speed on our current product, market, customers, and engineering team dynamics.
- You'll build on our current product roadmap, supported by a combination of data and art. You’ll do that by studying and learning from our customers, our competitor’s customers, industry analysts, Instrumental’s founders, cross-functional teams inside of Instrumental, and your own experience. The more time you can spend with users the better.
- You’ll communicate how the roadmap, features, or key elements create customer and business value. You’ll write initiative documentation and / or PRDs, and separate the musts, from the shoulds, coulds, and woulds.
- You’ll also work to build a strong foundational relationship with the product development team, the CEO, and the CTO. Over time, you’ll want to earn the team’s trust by having a reputation for being right.
- At this point, you’ll be living and breathing Instrumental and the pains of our customers, and be well on your way to pushing forward our vision of manufacturing intelligence.
We're looking for someone who
- Has at least three successful years of experience in a product management role (required). Your title might not have been Product Manager, but you have direct experience with both the tactical and strategic aspects of the role. Startup experience is preferred.
- Has either directly experienced or adjacently experienced the pains of building high quality hardware -- easing the empathy gap to our customers. This could be from a variety of industries: manufacturing, hardware test, metrology and product quality, consumer electronics or other hardgoods or softgoods companies.