Head of Customer Success
Palo Alto, CA /
As Head of Customer Success at Instrumental, you’ll manage a rapidly growing team of Customer Success Managers to drive engagement, retention, and expansion. You’ll ensure that our global customer base is maximizing our unique value, building use cases, ROI, and executive relationships to support Sales in renewals, upsells, and expansions. You will also develop and own a strategic transition from account-based selling to dedicated account management that will handle all expansion and renewal business from our customer base – delivering on improved sales efficiency and expansion metrics. This is a high-visibility, cross-functional, and customer-facing role that will enable Instrumental to grow while exceeding customer expectations.
- Oversee and own all metrics for our global Customer Success team, including organizational design, customer activities (e.g., on-boarding, advocacy, customer health check, remediation, etc.) and outcomes (e.g., renewals, adoption, expansions, etc.)
- Expand and nurture a global team of customer success professionals – including our existing team in the United States and China
- Provide leadership and strategic direction across our go to market team, including deep collaboration with our Solutions Architects, Hardware Operations, and Supply Chain Operations teams
- Drive growth and expand net revenue retention by creating and owning a unified customer experience from contract signing, to deployment and onboarding, to customer success and expansion
- Incubate and scale a team of account management specialists for an efficient and cost effective customer coverage strategy that maintains our ‘customer-first’ experience
- Develop and drive predictable quarterly renewal forecasting to meet our retention targets
- Own, report, and work to proactively improve key metrics for Customer Success, including Revenue, NPS, Customer Satisfaction, and Customer Health
- Own all cross functional responsibilities after the close of the initial sale
- Partner with the Product team to provide timely customer feedback and weigh in on future Product initiatives
The best candidates will have these attributes:
- ‘Customer First’ mindset - One of Instrumental’s core values is “Be Helpful”, and it’s this radical focus on customer needs and pain points that has earned their trust and enabled our success to date. Our team takes a consultative approach to every interaction with our customers, and we want you to have that experience too. Come prepared to tell us how you have previously created strong cross-functional alignment within the organization to deliver a delightful customer experience – and how you measured those results
- Revenue growth experience – Come prepared to share your experiences in high-growth environments – what role did you take in setting and achieving aggressive expansion revenue goals and what lessons you learned along the way. Great candidates will have experience navigating large enterprises to get ever higher levels of buy-in, and leading teams that do so on every key account.
- Team builder & coach - Proven experience developing a strategic growth plan, hiring, developing, motivating, and retaining global customer success teams.
- Plays to win – This is a hands-on role for leaders who thrive in high ownership, high impact environments. You are scrappy and relish getting things done, while also building systems to promote efficiency gains overtime. You are someone who proactively leads from the front, plays as a team, and celebrates wins from the back. You have experience learning new products throughout your career and are excited to become an expert in the challenges our customers face and how our product has impact.
- 5+ years of experience managing post-sales / customer success teams
- 5+ years of experience in a high-growth B2B software startup, ideally with technical buyers
- Experience designing and building fast-growing customer success organizations with more than 10 people