Sr. Software Engineer (Back End/ Ruby on Rails) [2020 H2]
Remote (US) /
Product / Engineering – Engineering /
Interfolio is on a mission to build smart, inspired and useful products for faculty and academic communities. By building an engine for faculty activity, decisions, and data, Interfolio has become the first mover in defining and leading the category of faculty-focused technology that cultivates goal-oriented collaboration around academic decision-making.
What’s even better than that? We’ve crafted a fun, collegial, dynamic culture that celebrates team and individual success almost daily. We’ve got a lean team of super-smart, super-hard working, local and remote colleagues who collaborate closely to produce a valuable service for an industry we’re passionate about. And, we genuinely like working with each other and with our clients.
Like what you’ve heard so far?
Then consider joining our Engineering department! The position of Sr. Software Engineer is a remote position - all engineers are remote, but maintain a strong, collaborative culture. Must reside within the continental United States.
*COVID-19 Special Update: Due to COVID-19, our employees are working remotely until further notice. For positions based out of one of our two offices, we will continue to work remotely until the company determines it is safe to return as per guidelines set by the CDC/WHO and other official advising entities in either the US or UK where our staff might be located. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community and will re-open our offices when it is safe to do so and all appropriate safety measures are in place. Travel for staff members has also ceased until the company determines it is safe to travel as per guidelines set by the CDC/WHO and other official advising entities in either the US or UK where our staff might be located.
Interfolio is seeking a proven Sr. Software Engineer that is experienced in Ruby on Rails and is passionate about building and supporting great SaaS products for Higher Education. The ideal candidate must demonstrate a commitment to their craft and to teamwork.
- Design and maintain complex and scalable enterprise-level applications in Ruby on Rails
- Learn quickly and apply knowledge to ones work to deliver solutions quickly
- Work with large existing codebase to identify opportunities for refactoring or migration to external services
- Improve scalability, service reliability, capacity, and performance
- Propose, conceptualize, design, implement, and develop solutions for difficult and complex applications independently
- Leverage third party APIs to build integrations with other systems
- Improve the physical design of existing systems to optimize performance and/or provide self-service tooling
- Participate in code review and mentoring of other team members
- Provide robust automated unit tests
- 5 or more years of experience in coding roles
- Strong object-oriented Ruby on Rails skills and experience
- Strong knowledge of SQL databases, such as PostgreSQL or MySQL, including database and query design techniques
- Strong Git knowledge
- Familiar with services oriented architectures (SOA), REST APIs and GraphQL
In addition, you should have
- A Bachelor’s degree, desired but not required
- Strong interest in higher education, startups, and/or SaaS technology
- Be able to speak and write fluently in English (as a minimum requirement)
In addition to a competitive salary, Interfolio offers a robust benefits package that includes medical insurance, unlimited paid time off, a yearly wellness benefit AND professional development stipend, and a fun company culture, which sets us apart! We look forward to you learning more about us!
Interfolio is committed to diversity and the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national, social or ethnic origin, age, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, family or parental status, or any status protected by the laws or regulations in locations where we operate.