Director of Accounting
Administration – Finance
Interfolio is on a mission to build smart, inspired and useful products for faculty and academic communities. By building an engine for faculty activity, decisions, and data, Interfolio has become the first mover in defining and category of faculty-focused technology that cultivates goal-oriented collaboration around academic decision-making.
Interfolio operates the first holistic faculty information system to support the full lifecycle of faculty work, from job seeking to review, tenure, sabbatical, committee work, research, and beyond. Offering colleges and universities increased and insight into faculty data to help achieve their strategic initiatives, Interfolio believes that advancing the faculty will advance the institution.
What’s even better than that?
We’ve crafted a fun, collegial, dynamic culture that celebrates team and individual success almost daily. We’ve got a lean team of super-smart, super-hard working, local and remote colleagues who collaborate closely to produce a valuable service for an industry we’re passionate about. And, we genuinely like working with each other and with our clients.
Like what you’ve heard so far?
Then consider joining our Finance team. The position of Director of Accounting will be based out of our office located in Washington, DC.
We are looking to add a Director of Accounting to our growing Finance team who will specifically supervise and mentor our current staff accountants, while also being a team player making sure the accounting needs of the organization are met. In this role, they will also provide support and oversight during the monthly and quarterly close. This person will help oversee the accounting operations, and work with the Managing Director of Finance to review and implement best practices for continued growth of the department as it aligns with the goals of the broader organization. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and solution-oriented, and someone who is excited about developing strategy to improve and enhance the department operationally. This person should have great written and verbal communication skills as they will often interact with various members of other departments, executive leadership, and external clients to complete the tasks at hand.
At Interfolio, we are committed to diversity and the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national, social or ethnic origin, age, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, family or parental status (including pregnancy), or any status protected by the laws or regulations in locations where we operate.
- Managing all finance and accounting operations
- Coordinating and directing the preparation of the monthly financial forecast updates and preparing monthly variance analyses
- Preparing and publishing timely monthly financial statements
- Supervise and mentor Interfolio's team of staff accountants
- Manage all accounting operations including billing, A/R, A/P, GL, and revenue recognition, as well as month-end close and adhoc projects as needed
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements and consolidated reporting
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Manage and comply with local, state, federal government, and international reporting requirements and tax filings
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Adhere to proper accounting methods, policies and principles; encourage and other employees to adhere to standards
- Collaborate with the other finance, legal, and sales operations managers to support both overall department and company objectives
- Identify opportunities and implement solutions that automate the monthly accounting close
- 5+ years of overall combined accounting and finance leadership experience, with at least 2 year of managerial experience
- Advanced degree in Accounting
- CPA or CMA preferred
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills
In addition, you should:
- Possess a strong interest in higher education, startups, and/or SaaS technology
- Be able to speak and write fluently in English (as a minimum requirement)
- Able to travel up to 20%
In addition to a competitive salary, Interfolio offers a robust benefits package that includes medical insurance, unlimited PTO, a yearly wellness benefit stipend, a yearly professional development stipend, 401k, and professional development opportunities.
Our culture sets us apart—we look forward to sharing more about our company and our team!