Director of Engineering
Product / Engineering – Engineering
Interfolio is on a mission to build smart, inspired and useful products for faculty and academic communities. By building an engine for faculty activity, decisions, and data, Interfolio has become the first mover in defining and owning the category of faculty-focused technology that cultivates goal-oriented collaboration around academic decision-making.
Interfolio operates the first holistic faculty information system to support the full lifecycle of faculty work, from job seeking to review, tenure, sabbatical, committee work, research, and beyond. Offering colleges and universities increased clarity and insight into faculty data to help achieve their strategic initiatives, Interfolio believes that advancing the faculty will advance the institution.
What’s even better than that? We’ve crafted a fun, collegial, dynamic culture that celebrates team and individual success almost daily. We’ve got a lean team of super-smart, super-hard working, local and remote colleagues who collaborate closely to produce a valuable service for an industry we’re passionate about. And, we genuinely like working with each other and with our clients.
Like what you’ve heard so far?
Then consider joining our Engineering team. The position of Director of Engineering will be based out of our office located in Washington, DC. Candidates being considered for this position must currently reside in the continental United States.
At Interfolio, we are committed to diversity and the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national, social or ethnic origin, age, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, family or parental status (including pregnancy), or any status protected by the laws or regulations in locations where we operate.
About the Position
As Director of Engineering, you will oversee engineers of many different skill sets, covering all aspects of the products such as SOA Ruby and PHP Backends, JS front ends, micro-services on AWS, and QA automation. The ideal candidate will have a passion for higher education, helping other members of our engineering organization work through challenges, and strong empathy for others as they go through the learning curves involved.
- Ensure smooth execution of complex deliverables across multiple products from multiple engineering teams
- Continuously iterate on software development processes to improve team throughput and reliabilityRecruit, manage, mentor, and retain engineers
- Build an inspiring technology culture where engineers proudly do their best work every day
- Collaborate with product and engineering management on feature definition, roadmaps, and product delivery strategy
- Review and guide the development of technical specifications produced by engineers and estimate level of effort required to meet acceptance criteriaDrive delivery for our product milestones, continually releasing features and ensuring quality metrics are achieved
- Work with the Vice President of Engineering in establishing and achieving departmental goals which support business needs
- Track and communicate product delivery metrics to Senior Management
- Proactively identify, tackle, and resolve uncertainty by presenting and implementing solutions cross-functionally
- Jump into code as necessary to debug issues, clear blockers, and complete code reviews
The successful applicant will demonstrate the following skills:
- 5+ years experience in managing internal and development teams
- Still comfortable writing some code
- Comfortable scaling teams in high-growth organizationsHigh comfort level owning difficult decisions
- Experience building B2B software delivered as a SaaS web application
- Experience with AWSExperience with Docker
- Experience with languages like Ruby on Rails, PHP, and AngularJS
- Success implementing agile/scrum development methodology
- Strong background in overall software development processes
- Demonstrated ability to technically lead projects, code reviews, etc
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with enterprise SaaS architectures & service-oriented architectures
- Modern deployment patterns such as product based feature flags and feature rollout strategies (dark releasing, weighted deploys, etc)
- Observability strategies such as production environment metrics and monitoring systems such as NewRelic and DataDog
In addition, you should:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree
- Live in commutable distance to Washington, DC
- Possess a strong interest in higher education, startups, and/or SaaS technology
- Be able to speak and write fluently in English (as a minimum requirement)
- Up to 10% required travel
In addition to a competitive salary, Interfolio offers a robust benefits package that includes medical insurance, unlimited PTO, a yearly wellness benefit stipend, a yearly professional development stipend, 401k, and professional development opportunities.
Our culture sets us apart—we look forward sharing more about our company and our team!