Senior Engineer, Development Engineering
Development – Engineering /
Intersect Power is a team of friends driven to preserve our planet for future generations through low-carbon energy and infrastructure solutions. Founded in 2016, the privately held clean energy company develops and owns some of the world’s largest clean energy resources serving customers in retail and wholesale energy markets across North America. The company is redefining the scope of the clean energy industry by enabling new pathways between clean electricity and the broader economy to enable the deep decarbonization of our economy. We are on an aggressive growth trajectory and are staffing key positions.
About This Position
The Senior Engineer, Development Engineering will be an individual contributor, with the team's goal focused on early-stage due diligence, power plant design, optimization & analytics, and managing priorities & expectations of internal/external stakeholders across multiple renewable projects. This position will report directly to the Director, Development Engineering and work closely with other Engineering teams, Development, GIS, Real Estate, Permitting, Construction, Finance, Operations teams, external consultants as well as the EPC to ensure safe and successful projects.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support project development activities, from early stages through project completion, by identifying fatal flaws and mitigating design risks.
- Own and manage site constraint maps, layouts, designs, and system specifications, starting from early-stage project siting through construction notice to proceed, via coordination with external land surveying and engineering consultants, tracking all development risks to the buildable land area
- Optimizing site layout for equipment selection, topography, minerals, ROW/crossings, substation location, gen-tie routing, site hydrology, environmental and permitting constraints, site access, and 3rd party infrastructure. Support equipment selection.
- Manage and coordinate scope, schedule, and cost for site technical diligence activities with external consultants, including hydrology studies, geotechnical studies, layout design, grading analysis, corrosion analysis, and transportation studies.
- Responsible for the civil and structural design aspects of a site, including cost/value engineering, design reviews, and negotiating relevant aspects of EPC contract exhibits
- Co-manage external land surveyors and oversee design adherence to the ALTA survey
- Responsible for managing and coordinating all crossing/encroachment designs, leading negotiations on crossing agreements with utilities and transportation authorities, and supporting the negotiation of crossing agreements with private parties
Qualifications and Skills
- Seasoned designer of renewable infrastructure layouts, experienced and creative in solving complex real estate and permitting problems, under the constraints of system specifications from construction and operations
- Deep understanding of civil design of renewable facilities and underlying technical diligence
- Knowledgeable on EPC construction standards, codes, and techniques as well as industry best practices
- Working knowledge of photovoltaic technology, trackers, inverters, wind turbines, and battery storage systems; advantages/trade-offs of the different technologies, system design, optimization levers, and cost drivers
- Ability to quantify risk and opportunities around unknowns in design and technology
- Thrive in cross functional environment, able to guide discussion and identify dependencies between design, production, cost, and land use
- Detail oriented and experienced with effective project management and prioritization of multiple simultaneous projects
- Advanced user of AutoCAD Civil3D
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, with effective time management
- Proficient interpersonal, written communications, analytical and quantitative skills with ability to multi-task and perform duties in a collaborative working environment.
- Advanced level of expertise on Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace (G Suite)
- 7+ years in design and engineering for utility-scale wind and solar projects
- Advanced user of HydroCAD preferred but not required.
- Experience in grading, stormwater management design, and erosion control/SWPPP preparation preferred but not required
- Experience with automated layout tools and geospatial analysis software like ArcGIS preferred but not required.
- Experience taking projects through all phases of development: early-stage siting, preliminary design, detailed design, EPC contracting, financing, and construction; familiar with contracting pitfalls, construction challenges, and life-cycle use and challenges preferred but not required.
Academic and Professional Background
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.
- Practical hands-on, field experience valued over academic experience.
*A note on qualifications: Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
Physical and Sensory Requirements
- Mostly sedentary work; using standard office equipment including: a computer, keyboard, and telephone.
- Position requires some travel for company-wide meetups: ~5 weeks total through a calendar year, plus additional travel required for site visits. *Full COVID-19 vaccination required to be eligible for travel.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary: USD$140,000 - $150,000 base salary with 20-30% annual target bonus
- Extended health benefits plan with plan premiums fully paid by Intersect Power.
- RRSP Plan with Employer automatic non-elective contribution of 3%
- Unlimited PTO, plus two company-wide vacation weeks (first week of July & end of year)
- Parental leave up to 12 weeks fully paid with an additional 6 weeks paid leave for birth parents
- Mental health and behavioral coaching through Ginger
- Family planning and new parent support through Maven
- New hire tech package (laptop, monitor, docking station, webcam, headphones, etc) and office furniture (desk & chair)