Energy Storage Engineering Specialist
United States /
Development – Engineering /
Intersect Power is a team of friends driven to preserve our planet for future generations through low-carbon energy and infrastructure solutions. Founded in 2016, the privately held clean energy company develops and owns some of the world’s largest clean energy resources serving customers in retail and wholesale energy markets across North America. The company is redefining the scope of the clean energy industry by enabling new pathways between clean electricity and the broader economy to enable the deep decarbonization of our economy. We are on an aggressive growth trajectory and are staffing key positions.
About This Position
The Energy Storage Engineering Specialist will work on design engineering for standalone energy storage systems (ESS) and ESS coupled with the PV, wind, and green hydrogen projects of the Intersect Power portfolio. The energy storage systems will consist of battery storage, hydrogen, mechanical, thermal, and various other technologies.
This position will report directly to the Manager, Energy Storage Systems and work closely with various teams.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Able to take ownership over the technical design (system sizing, arrangement, electrical modeling, and balance of system for ESS) to ensure performance over the life of the system meets the required contractual offtake agreements and financial model expectations
- Participate and lead cross functional design and ESS optimization efforts between development, land, and engineering teams for lowest power plant LCOE/LCOS
- Participate and lead the development of tools and/or software for analysis and calculation to create fast, accurate, and comprehensive performance results and estimates
- Responsible for development and maintenance of technical specifications, design criteria, standards, and exhibits (EPC technical exhibits, test protocols like FAT/SAT, vendor specifications, etc.) to ensure all documentation is comprehensive and maintains a high-quality product
- Participate and lead the technical aspects of energy storage PPA negotiations to ensure designs meet the offtake requirements with a cost-optimized and constructable solution
- Aid in EPC RFP and commercial supply agreements to ensure technical requirements are accurately defined and reflected while ensuring lower LCOE
- Participate in ESS technical IE diligence and project financing
- Lead equipment and technology selection, analyze new technology with suppliers, EPCs, and IEs to understand bankability, performance, and design impacts
- Interface, communicate, and establish relationships with ESS integrators or vendors
- Ensure timely and cost-effective resolutions for regulatory, permitting, and technical issues associated with the execution and delivery of ESS
- Ensure the highest level of environmental health and safety standards in all engineering with aspects of ESS
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum Experience:
- 3+ years working the technical scope on utility-scale PV/energy storage power plants through these 4 phases: Development, Design, Contracting with equipment manufacturers and EPC/Integrators, and Construction
- Qualitative Experience:
- Commercially minded engineer focused on LCOE/LCOS
- Possesses the ability to quantify risk and opportunities around unknowns in design and technology
- Understands solar and ESS development processes
- Thrives in a cross functional environment, able to guide discussion and identify dependencies between design, production, cost, land use, and LCOE
Skills & Knowledge
- Project engineering, effective time management and ability to prioritize tasks via solid project management skills
- Technical background in utility scale power conversion, transformers, inverters and battery technology. PV Engineering is a plus.
- Working knowledge and practical understanding of the relevant codes and standards for LiB ESS and inverters (NEC, IBC, IFC, NFPA, UL, IEC) and how they are applied to the various life cycles of permitting, design, construction, and operation
- Assisting Procurement and Operations teams for ESS
- Interfacing and managing external technical resources for owners engineering
- A deep technical understanding of lithium-ion battery (LiB) technology and ESS; advantages and trade-offs of the different chemistries, system design, optimization levers, cost drivers, contracting pitfalls, construction challenges, life cycle use and challenges
- The ideal candidate also has exposure or experience in working with or evaluating alternative storage technologies (flywheels, flow batteries, hydrogen, compressed air, etc.)
- Must have knowledge and understanding of scripting languages to automate engineering calculations e.g. VBA, Matlab, Python
- Background in power plant controls architecture and SCADA is a plus
- BS in a STEM field or relevant degree
- Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering preferred
- Masters or PHD will be a plus
*A note on qualifications: Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
Physical and Sensory Requirements
- Mostly sedentary work; using standard office equipment including: a computer, keyboard, and telephone.
- Position requires some travel for company-wide meetups: ~5 weeks total through a calendar year.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary: $90,000 - $100,000 base salary with 25-30% annual target bonus
- Medical, dental, and vision plan options with 100% premium coverage for the employee
- 3% non-elective employer contribution to 401k
- Unlimited PTO, plus two company-wide vacation weeks (Fourth of July & end of year)
- Parental leave up to 12 weeks fully paid with an additional 6 weeks paid leave for birth parents
- Mental health and behavioral coaching through Ginger
- Family planning and new parent support through Maven
- New hire tech package (laptop, monitor, docking station, webcam, headphones, etc) and office furniture (desk & chair)