Hydrogen Project Manager
United States /
Development – Construction /
Intersect Power is a team of friends driven to preserve our planet for future generations through low-carbon energy and infrastructure solutions. Founded in 2016, the privately held clean energy company develops and owns some of the world’s largest clean energy resources serving customers in retail and wholesale energy markets across North America. The company is redefining the scope of the clean energy industry by enabling new pathways between clean electricity and the broader economy to enable the deep decarbonization of our economy. We are on an aggressive growth trajectory and are staffing key positions.
About This Position
We are seeking a Project Manager, Hydrogen to support the construction project management team in a collaborative, fast paced environment. This position will report to the Director of Construction Project Management, and will support cross-functional partners in Development, Permitting, Finance, Engineering, Procurement, Legal, and Operations. The successful candidate must be an experienced multi-tasker with the ability to work on multiple (2-4) projects, across multiple technologies (wind, solar, storage, fuels), simultaneously. Our ideal candidate is team-oriented, proactive, and comfortable with a deadline driven construction environment.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage budget within the contractual obligations of the EPC Contract, and other consultants or contractors related to the construction scope
- Report budget changes into Project Director for roll up into Financing Agreements obligations
- Manage utility, offtaker, and contractor schedule to ensure alignment in MS project
- Resolve or escalate EPC schedule conflicts internally and externally
- Support development team to build project schedules for early phase projects and visit potential project sites to identify concerns
- In collaboration with all the stakeholders, develop Project Execution plans, Quality Plans, Safety plans, Commissioning plans, Risk Management plans etc.
- Work with Engineering to deliver pre FEED stage scope from FEL1 to 3.
- Review Project Cost estimates and support Procurement and Engineering teams in contract negotiations.
- Prepare exhibits for contracts (EPC and vendors)
- Participate in internal annual budgeting exercise and goal setting
- Deliver on owner, contractor, and 3rd party deliverables in the EPC contracts and land contracts. Build trackers, communicate status.
- Visit the sites on a regular basis (typically monthly, but to be coordinated with team)
- Manage the EPC contractors to execute per contractual obligations; negotiate change orders; escalate major hurdles; interpret EPC clauses and drive to resolution
- Coach APM, to lead meetings with contractors, utilities, grid operators.
- Build or streamline process (using project trackers developed by PM/APM) to meet quality requirements
- Review and streamline commissioning process and documentation for clean handoff to Operations Team.
- Oversee APM to track delivery of owner supplied materials and ensure that the milestone payments and contractual notices are completed.
- Provide final review of monthly documentation such as lien waivers, invoices, subordination agreements, estoppels, warranties and supporting documentation need for monthly construction loan draws
- Interpret POD and construction monitoring data to anticipate critical path impacts.
- Oversee team managing the owner’s engineer, and ensure appropriate staffing supports the projects.
- Coordinate with Safety Director on monthly visits and reporting, assist in monthly external reports
- Lead site tours for internal and external stakeholders
- Prepare materials for presentation to executive staff in Risk Review or Capital Committee (risk decision committees)
- Prepare weekly, monthly external and internal progress reports for executive level discussions.
- Support APM on review, mark up, and closeout of comments on construction plan sets
- Support APM on review and management of EPC engineering documents (IFP, IFC, RFI, submittals,transmittals As builts) and ensure they are answered or cleared in a timely manner
- Manage internal APM’s and external site contractors and consultants
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Business
- Minimum 8 years experience working in oil and gas construction with a focus on project management, budget ownership, invoice tracking, and schedule monitoring
- Acted as Project Manager on at least 2 hydrogen or oil and gas projects from start of construction to commercial operation
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Google suite, Microsoft suite, Bluebeam, Slack and other collaboration tools.
- High attention to detail and standards for work products.
- Able to translate complex findings into powerpoint presentations
- Has spent time working at project sites
- *A note on qualifications: Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
Physical and Sensory Requirements
- Mostly sedentary work; using standard office equipment including: a computer, keyboard, and telephone.
- Position requires some travel for company-wide meetups: ~5 weeks total through a calendar year. *Full COVID-19 vaccination required to be eligible for travel.
- This role requires travel at least once a month to project site.
*Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary: 140-150k USD base salary with 25-30% annual target bonus
- Medical, dental, and vision plan options with 100% premium coverage for the employee
- 3% non-elective employer contribution to 401k
- Unlimited PTO, plus two company-wide vacation weeks (Fourth of July & end of year)
- Parental leave up to 12 weeks fully paid with an additional 6 weeks paid leave for birth parents
- Mental health and behavioral coaching through Ginger
- Family planning and new parent support through Maven
- New hire tech package (laptop, monitor, docking station, webcam, headphones, etc) and office furniture (desk & chair)