Manager, SCADA Engineering
United States /
Development – Engineering /
Intersect Power is a team of friends driven to preserve our planet for future generations through low-carbon energy and infrastructure solutions. Founded in 2016, the privately held clean energy company develops and owns some of the world’s largest clean energy resources serving customers in retail and wholesale energy markets across North America. The company is redefining the scope of the clean energy industry by enabling new pathways between clean electricity and the broader economy to enable the deep decarbonization of our economy. We are on an aggressive growth trajectory and are staffing key positions.
About This Position
The Manager, SCADA Engineering will work on the interface and control coordination of various devices in a renewable energy power plant with PV, BESS, Wind, and Hydrogen. This position will report directly to the Director of PV, BESS & SCADA Engineering and work closely with various teams. This role is largely hands-on and will not have direct reports initially.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Own SCADA specifications for EPC contracts
- Own design and engineering for renewable energy facilities. This will involve selecting the right hardware equipment and software platforms
- Manage and run telecom interconnection for renewable facilities with the help of internal/external stakeholders
- Identify key FAT milestones prior to equipment being shipped on site
- Work with OEs and EPC to ensure correct installation, commissioning and operation of the designed SCADA system.
- Responsible for implementing SCADA cyber security best practices across all projects
- Ensure coordinated and consistent SCADA and site network scopes are deployed across the portfolio
- Maintain an understanding of regulatory requirements and upcoming changes that impact system design and execution
- Manage technical network configuration workflow, firewall Access Control List (ACL) connection, and PLC/RTAC circuit troubleshooting
- Manage troubleshooting of network communication with external parties that require data during the commissioning and operation of the power plant
- Support RTU configuration, and point list implementation in EMS/SCADA system
- Lead discussions with external stakeholders such as power plant controller (PPC) manufacturers, ISO/RTO, transmission service providers (TSP), ops team, owner’s engineer, and EPC contractor to configure the EMS systems per project requirements
- Lead the process of developing an operational plan to energize, commission, and handover projects to Ops team
- Interfacing with BESS Optimization Platform and scheduling coordinator of projects.
- Manage onboarding of SCADA systems and their integration with external counterparties and ISOs.
- Coordinate outage requests with the trading team and scheduling coordinator.
- Manage internal cross-functional requests such as RFP requests, onboarding of new resources, ISO registrations, report building
- Manage design, review and feedback for SCADA system from 3rd party vendors in the development phase
- Monitor and support onboarding, commissioning and testing during construction phase
- Help facilitate connections such as owner monitoring and OM access
- Minimum Required Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years working the SCADA technical scope on utility-scale PV/Battery Energy storage power plants through these 4 phases: Development, Design, Contracting with equipment manufacturers and EPC/Integrators, and Construction
- Qualitative Experience:
- Commercially minded engineer focused on LCOE/LCOS
- Possesses the ability to quantify risk and opportunities around unknowns in design and technology
- Understands PV, ESS, and Wind development processes
- Thrives in a cross-functional environment, able to guide discussion and identify dependencies between design, production, cost, land use, and LCOE
Skills & Knowledge
- Project engineering, effective time management and ability to prioritize tasks via solid project management skills
- Technical background in utility scale power networking, cybersecurity, plant control (different modes of operation like Q priority, AVR, frequency regulation, energy arbitrage, RA spin/non-spin reserves.
- Working knowledge and practical understanding of the relevant codes, standards for SCADA and cybersecurity, how they are applied to the various life cycles of permitting, design, construction, and operation
- Assisting Procurement and Operations teams with SCADA specification and integration.
- Interfacing and managing external technical resources for owners engineering
- A deep technical, hands-on understanding on SCADA, HMI, PLC/SEL-RTAC design, network switching, VLANs and equipment commissioning.
- Communications background, relevant to utility scale power plants
- Working knowledge of NERC compliance
- System design, optimization levers, cost drivers, contracting pitfalls, construction challenges, life cycle use challenges.
- The ideal candidate also has exposure or experience in working with resource metering strategies and interface with ISOs, dispatch optimization platforms and O&M.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of scripting languages to automate engineering calculations e.g. VBA, Matlab, Python
- BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree with minimum required experience
- Master's or PHD will be a plus
- Relevant experience will be considered as an alternative to the above
*A note on qualifications: Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
Physical and Sensory Requirements
- Mostly sedentary work; using standard office equipment including: a computer, keyboard, and telephone.
- Position requires some travel for company-wide meetups: ~5 weeks total through a calendar year.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary: $140,000 - $150,000 base salary with 25-30% annual target bonus
- Medical, dental, and vision plan options with 100% premium coverage for the employee
- 3% non-elective employer contribution to 401k
- Unlimited PTO, plus two company-wide vacation weeks (Fourth of July & end of year)
- Parental leave up to 12 weeks fully paid with an additional 6 weeks paid leave for birth parents
- Mental health and behavioral coaching through Ginger
- Family planning and new parent support through Maven
- New hire tech package (laptop, monitor, docking station, webcam, headphones, etc) and office furniture (desk & chair)