Instructional Coach (20-21)
Opportunity Academy Middle School
Intrepid College Prep is a network of free, open-enrollment, public charter schools committed to preparing scholars to excel in selective colleges, earn professional opportunities, and graduate as positive leaders. Our Intrepid Team currently educates nearly 800 students across two schools – Opportunity Academy, serving students in grades 5-8, and Independence Academy, serving students in grades 9-12.
Intrepid College Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all scholars through our commitment to high expectations and high-quality support. Intrepid has been distinguished as a Reward School by the Tennessee Department of Education twice since our opening in 2013. This is a particularly notable achievement as we serve one of the highest English Language Learner populations among Metro Nashville Public Schools.
Our work grows scholars academically and socially – providing the skill sets needed to be game changing leaders in every facet of the future. Intrepid alumni will transform college campuses and the workforce, raising expectations for academic excellence and ethical leadership.
Instructional Coaching at Intrepid College Prep Schools
Intrepid College Prep recognizes the need for teachers to have phenomenal Instructional Coaches and seeks the right internal candidate to support teachers in their pursuit of high student growth and achievement. The Instructional Coach will work with Principals, the CSO, the CEO and other members of the school-based leadership team to build a school culture where mastery of standards, achievement data, and teacher development are used to achieve breakthrough learning for students. The Instructional Coach will support the Principal in overseeing each campus’ teacher development through meeting facilitation, observations, and providing coaching and feedback to teachers. This role is a teacher-leader hybrid, in which the Instructional Coach will maintain a small teaching load, in order to provide both an excellent education to our students, and also, the critical development fellow teachers need.
Tennessee Teaching Certification, with track record of data-driven achievement.
Instructional Coach Duties and Responsibilities (in addition to teaching duties and responsibilities):
- Assist the Principal with oversight of curriculum development and improvement, student assessment (internal and external), and teacher development.
- Supervise the daily instructional work of teachers on coaching load.
- Conduct teacher observations and provide immediate feedback on performance based on pre-determined criteria of success.
- Communicate regularly with the Principal concerning student achievement, teacher development and evaluation and curriculum design.
- Assist in designing vertically-aligned scope and sequence with clear, scaffolded outcomes aligned to the TN & Common Core standards.
- Collaborate with other Instructional Coaches, Assistant Principals and Principals to use systems for data analysis and data action following all internal and external assessments.
- Seek and share curriculum best practices from other schools and professional journals.
- Model instructional strategies to improve student engagement, comprehension, and develop an effective instructional environment.
- Ensure alignment between teacher’s classroom actions and the school’s mission and vision.
- Work with teachers to problem-solve specific instructional challenges.
Successful Instructional Coach candidates possess the following characteristics:
- A team-oriented approach and the ability to effectively set and communicate goals for the team.
- Ability to give constructive feedback to facilitate student growth and academic achievement.
- Openness to receive feedback on issues that will facilitate growth and achievement of both students and faculty.
- Experience managing, leading, and motivating adults.
- Experienced classroom teacher with demonstrated, quantifiable and objective student performance gains that surpass state or local averages.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Well respected among peers.
- Able to establish trust with peers.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Highly organized.
- Takes initiative to solve problems.
- Intelligent, committed, gritty educators ready for challenge and the dogged pursuit of academic excellence.
- Dedication to educational success for students of color and low-income youth.
- Demonstrated evidence of the ability to reflect and articulate the lessons learned from past experience.
- Belief in and alignment with Intrepid College Prep’s core beliefs and educational philosophy are non-negotiable.
Instructional Coach positions available at Opportunity Academy for the 20-21 School Year:
o Social Studies
We offer a generous compensation package, including health benefits. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies. Compensation is highly competitive; teachers are eligible to participate in the MNPS Retirement System.
Commitment to Diversity
Intrepid College Prep is an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.