Middle School Music Teacher (19-20)
Opportunity Academy Middle School
Intrepid College Prep is a network of free, open-enrollment, public charter schools committed to preparing scholars to excel in selective colleges, earn professional opportunities, and graduate as positive leaders. Our Intrepid Team currently educates nearly 800 students across two schools – Opportunity Academy, serving students in grades 5-8, and Independence Academy, serving students in grades 9-12.
Intrepid College Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all scholars through our commitment to high expectations and high-quality support. Intrepid has been distinguished as a Reward School by the Tennessee Department of Education twice since our opening in 2013. This is a particularly notable achievement as we serve one of the highest English Language Learner populations among Metro Nashville Public Schools.
Our work grows scholars academically and socially – providing the skill sets needed to be game changing leaders in every facet of the future. Intrepid alumni will transform college campuses and the workforce, raising expectations for academic excellence and ethical leadership.
Teach Music at Intrepid College Prep Schools
Music Teachers are passionate about supporting the school's classical mission and helping all students gain knowledge of music. Music Teachers’ primary responsibilities are to:
-Provide instruction in music education to scholars in a way that maximizes learning.
-Maintain a “no-excuses,” highly ordered classroom culture where scholars demonstrate professionalism, rigor, initiative, discipline and endurance.
-Study, practice, and execute lessons that lead prepsters to mastery of music content and theory.
-Maintain a lesson pace which both ensures comprehension and maximizes students' ability to engage
in the activity.
-Organize musical equipment thoughtfully, developing classroom routines to manage materials
efficiently with minimal lost activity time.
-Utilize provided or personal musical equipment that aligns to model of Intrepid College Prep.
-Manage student behavior for an effective learning environment.
-Maintain accurate records of student information and assessment data.
-Work cooperatively and professionally with other staff, including attending team and staff meetings.
-Undertake other duties as required.
Tennessee Certification in the appropriate content area, with track record of data-driven achievement.
Successful Music Teacher candidates possess the following characteristics:
- Intelligent, committed, gritty educators ready for challenge and the dogged pursuit of academic excellence.
- Dedication to educational success for students of color and low-income youth
- Demonstrated evidence of the ability to reflect and articulate the lessons learned from experience
- Experience with or demonstrated desire in leading Socratic Seminars and utilizing the Harkness Method
- Demonstrated ability to formulate higher-order, open-ended questions to lead students in scholarly conversation
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the criteria for exemplary student work
- Demonstrated ability to help students overcome conceptual difficulties in a specific content area
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent classroom management skills and ability to cultivate a rigorous classroom climate
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required.
- Highest commitment to improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration, best practices, regular assessment and data analysis
- Effective communication skills with students, parents, and colleagues
- Holds a B.A./B.S. degree with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0
- Degree in subject area intended to teach (preferred)
- Speaks Spanish or has experience working with bilingual students (preferred)
- Belief in and alignment with Intrepid College Prep’s core beliefs and educational philosophy are non-negotiable.
The position will begin immediately.
We offer a generous compensation package, including health benefits. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies. Compensation is highly competitive; teachers are eligible to participate in the MNPS Retirement System.
Commitment to Diversity
Intrepid College Prep is an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.