Power Systems Researcher (Operations Research Specialist)
Cambridge, England /
Please apply if you want to:
- Have a positive impact on climate change.
- Work in an interdisciplinary environment where you are always learning.
- Contribute to projects which directly impact electricity grid operations.
Invenia Labs is a machine learning lab with a mission to optimise the world’s complex systems for the benefit of as many people as possible. Currently, we use algorithmic decision making and optimisation to help Independent System Operators (ISOs) operate their grids more efficiently, reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Power Systems Researchers are vital players in our multidisciplinary team, whose expertise informs our approach to this complex problem. Now, we are inviting Power Systems Researchers with a background in Operations Research to join our growing team and apply their knowledge to this complex, real-world problem.
In this role, you will:
- Deepen your understanding of electricity generation and distribution planning across different Independent System Operators.
- Share insights to guide research and modeling choices in algorithmic decision making and optimisation.
- Write high-quality code and help develop packages that approximate the ISOs’ system operation process.
- Keep up-to-date with research on power system operations, plus the latest machine learning and data science techniques.
- Be active in the wider research community by partnering with universities, publishing research papers, and attending conferences
- You hold a Masters or PhD in an area of Operations Research.
- You have a good understanding of deterministic and stochastic optimisation concepts and techniques.
- You are familiar with optimisation performance improvements and decomposition techniques.
- You have applied some of these techniques to electricity grids.
- You are familiar with Julia and JuMP.
- You have worked with Machine Learning specialists and Data Scientists previously.
It would also be helpful (but not essential) if:
Please note that while this is a flexible hybrid role, it cannot be performed fully remotely. We only consider candidates who already live, or are willing to relocate to our office locations in either Winnipeg, Canada or Cambridge, UK.