Senior Research Software Engineer
Cambridge, England /
Please apply if you:
- Love doing research but love writing software more
- Are more interested in technical leadership than people management
- Want to make a positive global impact on climate change and society
- Are excited to work in an interdisciplinary environment where you are always learning
- Want to join and shape an established machine learning lab in a growth phase
Invenia Labs is an applied Machine Learning lab with a mission to optimise the world’s complex systems for the benefit of as many people as possible. Right now, we concentrate on optimising electricity grids to reduce emissions and economic waste. Our Research Software Engineers are highly collaborative individuals with exceptional skills in software engineering, who empower their colleagues to conduct the highest quality research in machine learning, data science, and power systems, by proactively building the tools they need.
We are inviting you to join our growing team as a Senior Research Software Engineer who will be a hands-on technical contributor, provide technical advice and mentorship to more junior colleagues, and set the long-term direction for key research software projects whilst constantly growing your own knowledge and skills.
- Engineer (often open-source) software for conducting interdisciplinary research in optimisation, machine learning, data science, and power systems.
- Provide technical leadership, teaching and mentorship to more junior Research Software Engineers as they tackle complex problems.
- Assist in the development of algorithms and models in pursuit of research goals.
- Collaboratively shape diverse projects, identify future needs, and ensure alignment with longer-term strategic goals.
- Work with teammates asynchronously across multiple time zones.
- Engage with software and academic communities by attending and contributing to conferences and seminars.
- You have significant experience as a Software Engineer, Researcher, Data Scientist or Research Software Engineer, as part of a team in an industry setting.
- You have conducted research, either individually or as part of a team.
- You have excellent skills in numerical programming in any language, such as Julia, Python, MATLAB, or R.
- You have knowledge of machine learning, statistics, probability theory, optimisation, or power systems.
- You have strong interpersonal, verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- You want to continue to strengthen your software engineering skills and develop as a technical leader.
Please note that while this is a flexible hybrid role, it cannot be performed fully remotely. We only consider candidates who already live, or are willing to relocate to our office locations in either Winnipeg, Canada or Cambridge, UK.