Senior Research Engineer
Cambridge, England /
Please apply if you love doing research, but love writing software more, and want to help build an organisation that makes a positive global impact on society and the environment.
We are searching for a Senior Research Engineer with a wealth of experience, to support the next stage of Invenia Labs’ growth. Research Engineers are highly collaborative individuals with exceptional skills in software engineering, who empower their colleagues to conduct the highest quality research in machine learning, data science, and power systems to optimise electricity grids and combat climate change. Our Research Engineers are vital members of our Research team, and have an excellent understanding of experimental best practices and our research areas, but do not conduct research themselves. Their role is to enable and accelerate progress towards Invenia’s goals by proactively developing and maintaining the tools that Researchers need.
As a Senior Research Engineer, you will collaborate on diverse projects with highly knowledgeable experts in machine learning, data science, power systems, optimisation and software development. Not only will you be a hands-on technical contributor, but will also provide technical advice and mentorship to more junior colleagues, and take responsibility for setting the long-term direction for key research software projects whilst constantly growing your own knowledge and skills.
This is the ideal opportunity for you to join and learn from a dynamic and diverse team, and to fundamentally influence systems with a direct impact on electricity grids and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Design, build, test, and enhance (often open-source) software for conducting research in machine learning, data science, and power systems.
- Assist in the development of algorithms and models in pursuit of research goals.
- Be involved in shaping diverse projects, identifying future needs and aligning with longer-term strategic goals.
- Provide technical leadership, teaching and mentorship to more junior Research Software Engineers.
- Collaborate with researchers and developers asynchronously across multiple time zones to meet research goals.
- Engage with software and academic communities through attending and contributing to conferences and seminars.
- Significant experience working as a software engineer, researcher, data scientist or research software engineer, as part of a team in an industry setting.
- Experience conducting research, either individually or as part of a team.
- Experience with numerical programming in any language, such as Julia, Python, MATLAB, R.
- Knowledge of machine learning, statistics, probability theory, optimisation, or power systems.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, written, and presentation skills.
Please note this is an onsite role, and only remote due to current circumstances until being in the office is safe again. We consider candidates who are willing to relocate to one of our offices in either Winnipeg, Canada or Cambridge, UK.