Torrance, CA /
Inversion is building low-cost space capsules that return cargo back to Earth. This next-generation class of space vehicle will finally be able to provide high-frequency return of research, goods, supplies, and equipment that is critical for all future commercial activities and supply chains in space. Affordable launch is solved. It's time for affordable return. We’re a hungry team looking to bring a first-of-its-kind capability to the market. With strong financial backing (including Spark Capital, Y Combinator, Jordan Noone, and many others), we’re set to make this a reality.
Inversion Engineers completely own systems from design to integration. There is no playbook for what we are doing, so every day is full of new challenges. Working for an early-stage startup means you get to shape the direction of the company, and if it is successful or if it dies. The stakes are total.
Our Avionics Engineers create the beating heart of every capsule, bringing together all of the other systems to work together and create world-changing capabilities. If you want to have ownership of systems from start to finish, work at the bleeding edge of technology at an incredible fast pace, and build a new class of aerospace vehicle set to change the world, we’d love to talk with you!
- Create and lead initial design and analyses of space capsule avionics hardware and software from component design through integration and testing.
- Develop robust system architectures that meet specifications, qualifications, and customer requirements. These systems include power systems, telemetry and communications, critical sensors, controllers, etc.
- Coordinate needs from all subsystems (GNC, Propulsion, Structures, etc.) to implement necessary hardware and features for mission capability.
- Develop and integrate testing procedures and hardware to perform Hardware in the Loop (HITL/HIL) testing.
- Work with vendors to develop subsystems/systems with Commercial-Off-The-Shelf components and systems.
- Design and integrate mechanical systems for mounting and thermal requirements of the avionics systems.
- Experience with the full design, build, test cycle for embedded systems, printed circuit boards (PCBs), and electronics.
- Hands-on experience with wire and harness soldering and PCB assembly.
- Experience with PCB design, debugging, and manufacturing.
- Project experience with complex electrical systems.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- B.S. from an accredited university in a relevant field.
- Experience implementing mixed-signal circuit boards.
- Experience with Altium Designer (or other PCB design software) and SPICE-based simulators.
- The willingness to get your hands dirty and build something yourself.
· Position may require extended work hours and weekend work.
· Position may require standing, bending, and working directly with hardware on the floor for extended periods of time.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.