Principal Software Development Engineer
Product & Engineering /
About Iron Health
Iron Health is on a mission to close the gaps in women’s healthcare and give all women the kind of care they deserve. Through our tech-enabled platform and our network of multidisciplinary providers, we partner with OB/GYNs to extend the latitude of care they can offer and enable a whole-person experience for patients. We support women in all phases of life, extending care beyond the doctor’s office and enabling better outcomes and experiences for everyone. We know that many women rely on their OB/GYNs for primary care and behavioral health services, and we also know that many OB/GYNs are overwhelmed by their workload. Founded at Redesign Health with additional investment from the March of Dimes Innovation fund, Iron Health aims to create a world where equitable, quality healthcare of body and mind is accessible for all women.
About the Job:
As our Principal Software Development Engineer, you will play a key role in building the core platform that powers our business. This is a unique opportunity to join an early-stage, fast-growing business with a very mission oriented impact.
In this role, you will have opportunities to help lay out technical strategy including driving key build vs. buy decisions and exploring innovative solutions to solve challenging business problems. You will collaborate closely with other engineers, product, design, and clinical stakeholders to design and deliver the best solution for our customers, providers, and patients. You will help to define and implement processes and frameworks that will ensure the quality and reliability of our products.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, this fully remote position in the United States offers exceptional visibility and impact.
What you will do:
* Architect, develop, and maintain features for our cloud-based platform, focusing on patient and clinician interactions.
* Build robust, resilient, and highly observable integrations with our partners’ healthcare information systems for seamless data exchange and delivery.
* Implement solutions with a focus on both engineering excellence and engineering efficiency:
- Contribute to the devops code base, including infrastructure as code (IaC) and Github Actions pipelines.
- Contribute to our technical documentation, including architecture, design, standards, and onboarding.
- Give continuous feedback on our SDLC processes.
- Write code with great readability and high testability.
- Architect solutions with security, performance, scalability, and observability.
* Collaborate closely with product managers building POCs and guiding innovation, giving feedback on features and stories, communicating implementation scope and estimates, and helping to understand tradeoffs.
* Work closely with the Head of Engineering to make informed decisions on building vs. buying and addressing technical debt.
What you will need:
* 6+ years experience with full-stack software development in an agile environment
* A successful track record of delivering and maintaining reliable, scalable, traceable, and performant distributed systems to customers in a production cloud environment
* Experience building infrastructure as code (CDK/CloudFormation/Terraform) and good understanding of AWS (or similar cloud) services and networking constructs
* Experience with data modeling and design schemas for application databases and data warehouses
* Experience with serverless, event-driven architectures (lambda functions, queues, streams, etc.)
* Experience working with EHR systems and/or with healthcare data that has given you an understanding of regulatory and compliance requirements
* Experience working in a startup or high growth environment
Who you are:
Action oriented. You readily take action on new opportunities with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm. You display a can-do attitude, and step up to handle tough issues.
Collaborates. You work cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives, representing your own interests while being fair to others and their areas.
Nimble learning. You take on the challenge of unfamiliar tasks, learning quickly when facing new situations and experimenting to find new solutions. You extract lessons learned from mistakes and use both successes and failures as opportunities for growth.
Manages Complexity. You ask the right questions to accurately analyze situations, making sense of complex, high-quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to solve problems.
Life At Iron Health
We're a remote-first company, but we also value the power of face-to-face interactions. While our team thrives in the virtual world, we recognize the importance of coming together in person to foster collaboration and build stronger connections. We periodically gather offsite so we can exchange ideas and work side by side.
Think big, start small: We have a bias toward action and when things get hard, we do what gritty people do— we roll up our sleeves, break down the problem, and find a way to take even the smallest step forward.
Be our best: We do what we say we'll do when we say we'll do it— no finger-pointing, no excuses, just our very best work every single day.
Foster the safe space: We value diverse perspectives, cultivate inclusive collaboration, and welcome creative dissent.
Enjoy the ride, together: We individually succeed when the team succeeds.
Iron Health is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer – we recruit, train, compensate, and promote our team members based on qualifications. We know how important it is not only to include, but to actively seek out, a diversity of opinions and voices.
$140,000 - $180,000 a year
Full benefits (medical, dental, and vision). This role will require travel up to 10% across the US.