Senior Electrical Engineer
San Carlos, CA
About Iron Ox
Iron Ox is reimagining the modern farm, utilizing robotics and AI to grow fresh, consistent, and responsibly farmed produce for everyone. Our experienced team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, and innovators are passionate about deeply understanding and developing this new wave of technology to feed an ever-growing population. Iron Ox is a well-funded startup backed by Y Combinator, conveniently located near the CalTrain station in San Carlos, CA.
Who we're looking for
At Iron Ox, we are automating the entire plant production process. From the development of multiple robot platforms to our own custom hydroponic, seeding, and harvesting systems, we are taking a system level approach to creating the ideal farm. We are looking for a Senior Electrical Engineer to join the team designing and developing this automated infrastructure. You will be in charge of all parts of the electrical development process, from initial requirements and architecture layout, to detailed design, sourcing, and engineering. You will be responsible for sourcing sensor, control, and power systems for our robots and custom greenhouse devices. This job requires a hands-on approach and someone who thrives on ambiguity and creative freedom. The ability to work in a startup environment, take ownership, and drive a project to completion is essential.
What will you do here?
- Own the electrical architecture for the multiple systems that make up our automated greenhouse; this includes prototyping, designing, sourcing components for, and bringing up these systems
- Work with team to spec and source off-the-shelf electrical and sensor components
- Own the vendor relationships for all of our control, sensor, and power systems
- Work with the team to debug and troubleshoot issues with automated systems
- Collaborate daily with your fellow engineers (both hardware and software) as well as our team of growers
- Participate in design discussions reviews
- Shipped a product to customers
- 5+ years professional experience
- Ability to source electrical and sensor components
- Experience with motors and motor controllers
- Experience with power systems including battery management systems
- Ability to design, specify, and work with external vendors to create custom PCBs
- Worked with PCB design software tools
- BS in Electrical Engineering or a related field
- A passion for tackling unfamiliar challenges and getting your hands dirty
Nice to haves
- Experience writing and debugging firmware for embedded systems for real-time devices such as motors and sensors as well as read inputs from a variety of analog and digital sensor/image devices
- Experience building robots
- Experience with industrial automation
- Experience with agriculture systems
- Iron Ox is a small startup with a big dream. You’ll be a part of a team founded on transparency, creativity, and impact on our mission to feed people.
- We’re in the heart of San Carlos, walking distance to Caltrain and great restaurants.
- We’re a tight-knit group that likes to work hard while also having fun with company outings and team events.
- We offer medical, dental and vision.
- We have a fresh salad bar for employees 5 days a week.