San Carlos, CA
About Iron Ox
Iron Ox is reimagining the modern farm, utilizing robotics and AI to grow fresh, consistent, and responsibly farmed produce for everyone. Our experienced team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, and innovators are passionate about deeply understanding and developing this new wave of technology to feed an ever-growing population. Iron Ox is a well-funded startup backed by Y Combinator, conveniently located near the CalTrain station in San Carlos, CA.
Who we're looking for
At Iron Ox, we are automating the entire plant production process. From the development of multiple robot platforms, to our own custom hydroponic, seeding, and harvesting systems, we are taking a system level approach to creating the ideal farm. As we continue to develop and scale our robotic greenhouse operations, we want to make sure that the code that operates our systems is structured, well ordered, maintainable, and generally something we can be proud of.
We are looking for an experienced senior software engineer who cares about the craft of coding and systems architecture design. While robotics or machine learning experience would be fantastic, they are not required. What is required is a deep understanding of how to get multiple computers, data sources, and devices working together. This is a perfect position for someone with a strong background in software development and an interest in learning more about robotics. Or for a roboticist or machine learning practitioner who has excellent software development skills.
What you will do here
- Contribute to maturing our software development lifecycle process and have a hand in setting up various systems to produce reproducible, reliable, high quality code.
- Own, architect, and implement software systems for multiple robots, systems, IoT devices, etc
- Work with internal teams to identify needs, gather requirements, and compile requirement documents
- Improve our software practices by providing guidance through architecture designs, design and code reviews, etc
- Collaboratively create a scalable software framework. Expect to white board concepts / designs with team members
- Work with and mentor software engineering team members
- Help build an amazing software team by participating in our hiring process
- Strong C++ or Python skills (5+ years of experience necessary)
- 5+ years professional experience in software design and development
- Experience doing code reviews
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
- Extensive experience with systems integration
- Worked with a continuous integration system (Travis, Jenkins, etc)
- A passion for tackling unfamiliar challenges and getting your hands dirty
Nice to haves
- You have shipped a product to customers
- Deployed production hardware
- Developed using ROS/ROS2
- Experience with perception/vision libraries, including OpenCV or PCL
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (Caffe, TensorFlow, etc.)
- Worked with agriculture systems
- Iron Ox is a small startup with big dreams. ou’ll be a part of a team founded on transparency, creativity, and impact on our mission to feed people.
- We’re in the heart of San Carlos, walking distance to Caltrain and great restaurants.
- We’re a tight-knit group that likes to work hard while also having fun with company outings and team events.
- We offer medical, dental and vision.
- We have a fresh salad bar for employees 5 days a week.