San Carlos, CA
About Iron Ox
Iron Ox is building robotic greenhouses to bring fresh and affordable produce to everyone. We're a team from Willow Garage, Google[x], and Savioke that are passionate about deeply understanding and developing the new wave of technology to feed people. Iron Ox is a well-funded startup backed by Y Combinator and located in the SF Bay Area.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a high quality, ambitious candidate to assist with growing operations of a fast-paced, innovative startup. The ideal grower is a motivated, organized individual with a passion for agriculture. As a grower at Iron Ox, you will assist with daily farm operations and be a key member of the Iron Ox team. This is a full-time position.
- Minimum of an Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent, in agriculture, horticulture or plant science or two years of related experience and/or training.
- Basic computer skills, experience with G Suite / Microsoft Office.
- Great time management, organization, and interpersonal skills.
- Basic hand tool experience.
- Self starters who have a great attention to detail and a willingness to learn new subjects.
- Proactive, goal oriented individuals who take pride in their accomplishments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Management of Seeding, Transplanting, and Harvesting.
- Tasks such as testing pH, EC and monitoring temperature in the growing environment.
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) including to development of IPM plan and managing the ecosystem.
- Data collection and analysis, record keeping, and safety tasks.
- Inventory control for growing supplies.
- Staging, maintenance and cleaning of hydroponic growing systems and equipment.
- Maintain facilities appearance and ensure areas are clean and tidy.
- Troubleshoot all of the above items and perform independent judgements.
- Must be capable of acting as interim Grower when required.
Nice to haves
- Experience with indoor farming, hydroponics, food safety a plus.
- PCA license or other applicator certifications.
- Interest in the farming, food and robotics industries and love the fun of the startup environment and its culture.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds regularly, and up to 50 lbs occasionally.
- Ability to bend at the waist, crouch, stoop, squat, and kneel.
- Fine manipulation with hands, pinching and other work done primarily with fingers.
- Ability to work in greenhouse conditions, wide range of temperatures, humidity, and sunlight.
- Stand for extended periods of time.
- Build technology that feeds people.
- Medical, dental and vision
- Fresh salad bar for employees.
- As an early employee, you’ll have key impact on the company.