Facility / Greenhouse Maintenance Technician
San Carlos, CA
About Iron Ox
Iron Ox is re-imagining the modern farm, utilizing robotics and AI to grow fresh, consistent, and responsibly farmed produce for everyone. Our experienced team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, and innovators are passionate about deeply understanding and developing this new wave of technology to feed an ever-growing population. Iron Ox is a well-funded startup backed by Y Combinator, conveniently located near the CalTrain station in San Carlos, CA.
Who we're looking for
Under the direction of the Facility Operations Manager and in close alignment with our Grow and Engineering team, the Facilities Technician assists in cleaning, maintenance, and other production-support duties required to keep our buildings sanitized and functioning in a production environment, including, but not limited to, replacement of plumbing equipment, lighting, and irrigation system parts, irrigation system maintenance, plumbing / electrical inspection and repair, cleaning and restocking designated areas and items for production, performing and documenting routine inspection and maintenance activities, carrying out heavy cleansing tasks and special projects, by performing the following duties:
• Keeping an open line of communication with staff and manager by notifying them of repairs needed or other items that need to be addressed
• Weekly reporting through Jira to ensure maintenance tasks are completed in a timely manner
• Collaborates with and provides support to facilities staff within the production environment
• Responsible for the adherence and reporting of safety breaches. Other duties may be assigned as needed or required
• Manage work requests submitted for office areas including our HQ and auxiliary facilities located in San Carlos
• Mixing and diluting concentrated products safely and ensuring that guidelines are always followed in a compliant manner
• Proper setup and storage of cleaning equipment
As a part of the Facility Operations team at Iron Ox, you will lead the effort in maintaining our facilities to a high standard. This is a full-time position and will be supporting our office spaces in San Carlos and our greenhouse facility in Gilroy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily (with or without accommodations). The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required.
Education and Experience
• Ability to work independently with strong time management
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
• Ability to handle heavy equipment and machinery
• Proven ability to perform a variety of tasks under time constraints and strict deadlines
• Demonstrated efficiency, productivity, attention to detail, accuracy, and results orientation
• Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods
• Strong knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies
• Wearing gloves and other required protective gear for extended periods when required
• Knowledge and proficiency in proper and safe use of hand/power tools used in repairs.
• Knowledge and proficiency in proper and safe use of chemicals and sprays used in operating and maintaining greenhouse systems.
• Ability to lift 25 lbs. regularly, and up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
• Ability to bend at the waist, crouch, stoop, squat, and kneel.
• Fine manipulation with hands and other work done primarily with fingers.
• Ability to work in greenhouse conditions, a wide range of temperatures, humidity, and sunlight.
• Strong odors from machinery, sanitizers, isopropyl alcohol, or bleach
• Occasional loud noises from machinery
Duties and Responsibilities
• Replacement of plumbing equipment, lighting, and irrigation system parts
• Irrigation system maintenance, plumbing / electrical inspection and repair
• Ensuring equipment (utility generation, distribution, and skid built) is operating under normal system parameters
• Equipment assembly
• Maintains an inventory list for system consumables and equipment parts
• Maintains cleanliness of interior and exterior of facility
• Maintenance of trash and recycle bins including disposing of trash
• Vacuum, sweep, pressure wash/mop interior and/or exterior concrete areas, walkways, insect exclusion area, work area, and system equipment
• Inspection of facility and reports any damaged or broken items, landscape issues, and/or safety hazards.
• Weekly and monthly maintenance tasks such as cleaning lights, servicing sumps, vacuuming on interior limits of greenhouse, etc.
• Carry out heavy cleaning and special projects such as deep cleaning specific areas and helping to maintain clean plant room.
• Properly operates and stores any equipment needed for tasks (foam sprayer, pressure washer, forklift, etc.)
• Collaborates with and provides support to staff within a production environment.
• Follows standard operating procedures in a safe and compliant manner.
• Promptly reports breaches in compliance, safety, and sanitation to management.
Nice to haves
• Experience with indoor farming, greenhouse operations, manufacturing operations, and food safety a plus
• HVAC experience is a plus
• Proven working experience in a sanitation role
• Interest in the farming, food and robotics industries and love the fun of the startup environment and its culture
• Satisfactory computer skills with experience in G Suite, Microsoft Office, and JIRA
• Iron Ox is a small startup with big dreams. You’ll be a part of a team founded on transparency, creativity, and impact on our mission to feed people.
• We’re a tight-knit group that likes to work hard while also having fun with company outings and team events.
• We offer medical, dental and vision.
• We have a fresh salad bar for employees 5 days a week at our HQ facility.