Director of Communications
San Carlos, CA /
Iron Ox is reimagining the modern farm, utilizing robotics and AI to grow fresh, consistent, and responsibly farmed produce for everyone. Our experienced team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, and innovators are passionate about deeply understanding and developing this new wave of technology to feed an ever-growing population.
Our mission at Iron Ox is dedicated to addressing some of the most significant issues in food security, now and in the future. We’re focused on sustainable, scalable food production for a changing climate and an ever-growing population.
As Director of Communications, you will develop and implement strategic and holistic communication programs, including media relations, crisis management, and internal communications strategies as you tell a compelling story about our company, our mission, and our people!
You will be a central partner to the founders, senior leadership team, and marketing. This individual must thrive in a very fast-paced environment with the ability to prioritize and multi-task across a variety of projects. This position will report directly to the CEO.
Strategy and Planning
- Create and deliver global communications plans that drive long-term brand building and deliver on business goals across public relations, social media, analyst relations, community engagement, content strategy, corporate and internal communications
- Build out a strategy that makes sense for 2021 and beyond, helping to own and tell a story about Iron Ox and our ecosystem in a way that excites, inspires, builds brand and trust
- Translate broad strategies into clear, specific objectives and key results for teams
- Measure and report on communications’ contribution to company-wide and functional OKRs
- Provide budget and complex stakeholder management, including driving value from agency relationships in all key regions and markets globally
- Seek out stories and opportunities by working closely with teams across the company
- Support crisis response, working with the founders and leadership team to manage crisis response initiatives, develop a response strategy, and execute accordingly
- Build the executive communication platform for Iron Ox founders and leadership team
- Work with agency partners and internal stakeholders to ensure consistency of corporate messaging across Iron Ox
Leadership and Collaboration
- Work closely with our Executive team regarding Iron Ox messaging and positioning
- Be a key driver of how we amplify and advance our story
- Partner with other senior leaders across the company to deliver consistent, aligned, and impactful communications
- Use metrics and reporting to track results
What You'll Bring
- Minimum 7+ years of business communications, public relations, internal communications, or media communications experience
- Demonstrated history of working in the technology industry and experience leading a high-performance team
- Significant experience in positively handling high-profile, including crisis communications issues, demonstrating sound judgment and persuasive counseling to senior management
- Strategic thinker with expertise in defining and crafting business positioning, and managing company messaging through considerable growth and expansion
- Extensive relationships with diverse press contacts
- Proven track record of delivering impactful external and internal communications, including message development, communications planning, segmentation, and measurement. With regard to expert-level measurement and reporting acumen, a clear understanding of how this maps to broader marketing and whole-of-business outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with senior leadership and interface effectively and positively with internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional written and verbal communications, interviewing, and editing skills with unrelenting attention to detail
- Proven ability to clearly and succinctly develop communications that will resonate with all stakeholders, leaders, employees, including in a large, global audience
- Positive, driven, and energetic team player; able to roll-up their sleeves to get the job done
- Experience working with corporate and consumer reporters at top-tier national print and broadcast media outlets
- Willing to move fast and define objectives, strategies, and tasks without waiting for top-down direction, but also able to optimize based on feedback from leadership
- Someone with a sense of humor who is excited to help build a brand and company!
What We Offer
- Iron Ox is a small startup with a big dream. You’ll be a part of a team founded on transparency, creativity, and impact on our mission to feed people
- Competitive compensation and meaningful equity package
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
We are a mission-driven and well-funded startup, backed by the likes of YCombinator, Pathbreaker Ventures, and Crosslink Capital. We are headquartered in San Carlos, CA with our primary production greenhouse facility located in Gilroy, CA.
Iron Ox is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note: Iron Ox does not accept unsolicited resumes from staffing vendors, including recruitment agencies and/or search firms. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Iron Ox employees, or any other company location. Any submittals without a prior signed agreement will become property of Iron Ox.