Software Engineering Manager
San Carlos, CA
About Iron Ox
Iron Ox is reimagining the modern farm, utilizing robotics and AI to grow fresh, consistent, and responsibly farmed produce for everyone. Our experienced team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, and innovators are passionate about deeply understanding and developing this new wave of technology to feed an ever-growing population. Iron Ox is a well-funded startup backed by Y Combinator, conveniently located near the CalTrain station in San Carlos, CA.
Who we're looking for
At Iron Ox, we are automating the entire plant production process. From the development of multiple robot platforms, to our own custom hydroponic, seeding, and harvesting systems, we are taking a system-level approach to creating the ideal farm. As we continue to develop and scale our robotic greenhouse operations, we want to make sure that the code that operates our systems is structured, well ordered, maintainable, and generally something we can be proud of.
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager to grow and lead our team of robotics, backend, and frontend engineers as well as drive the diverse software projects needed to realize our vision for an optimized and intelligent farm.
The technical side: You will own our efforts to develop, deploy, and maintain production-quality code that runs on the robots and in the cloud. Generalists will thrive in this role. We are looking for a leader who understands that firmware, high-level algorithms, and web infrastructure must all come together to create a complete product.
The people side: This is a dynamic environment and requires managing a team with diverse skill sets as well as closely collaborating with hardware, growing, and operations teams. You will need to not only roll up your sleeves and solve the day-to-day problems that never stop sprouting up, but also make time to plant the seeds that will bear longer, more strategic fruit in future seasons.
What you will do here
- Directly manage our growing software team of 5-15 people
- Assess software team needs, build, and execute on a hiring plan
- Drive a development process that reliably delivers releases to systems deployed to our growing operation making actual food
- Coordinate and collaborate with other groups including hardware, growing, and operations - robotics is a team sport!Research, recommend, and oversee the implementation of new tools, process, and proceduresDevelop, train, and mentor software engineering staffHelp the team make decisions, keep moving forward, and propose changes and improvements to promote scalable, reliable, and maintainable technologies
- 10+ years of developing and shipping production software
- 5+ years of leading engineering teams including building product roadmaps, team member tasking, performance management, and career development
- Experience building cohesive teams; including sourcing, recruiting, interviewing and closing exceptional engineers
- Strong communication and analytical skills
- You remember enough about writing code that you can conduct a solid code review
- BS or MS in Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Comfortable with cloud/frontend and on-device development
- Experience managing engineers that develop in C++, Python
- Experience with development tools such as AWS, Docker, Ansible
Nice to haves
- Experience with products that combine hardware in software preferred
- Familiarity with robotics, machine vision, or machine learning
- Familiarity with ROS
- Experience with Python, C++ programming
- Experience with frontend development
- Experience working in a startup environment
- An interest in agriculture
- Hat available upon request; Must provide own denim overalls