San Carlos, CA /
About Iron Ox
Iron Ox is reimagining the modern farm, utilizing robotics and AI to grow fresh, consistent, and responsibly farmed produce for everyone. Our experienced team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, and innovators are passionate about deeply understanding and developing this new wave of technology to feed an ever-growing population. Iron Ox is a well-funded startup backed by Y Combinator, conveniently located near the CalTrain station in San Carlos, CA.
Who we're looking for
At Iron Ox, we are automating the entire plant production process. From the development of multiple robot platforms to our own custom hydroponic, seeding, and harvesting systems, we are taking a system level approach to creating the ideal farm. We are looking for a Controls Engineer to join the team designing, developing, and supporting this automated infrastructure.
This job requires a hands-on approach from someone who thrives on ambiguity and creative freedom. You will own all parts of the controls development process from complete system design, procurement, building, programming, and upkeep.
The ability to work in a startup environment, take ownership, and drive a project to completion is essential.
What will you do here?
- Design, build, program, and commission PLC control systems in our automated greenhouse
- Work with team to spec and source off-the-shelf electrical and pneumatic components
- Own the vendor relationships for control panel builds, and build them yourself
- Work with the team to debug and troubleshoot issues with automated systems
- Collaborate daily with your fellow engineers (both hardware and software) as well as growing, product, and operational teams
- Participate in design discussions and reviews
- BS in Electrical Engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years professional experience
- Made major contributions to an industrial PLC controls system
- Ability to source electrical and sensor components
- Experience writing and debugging Structured Text or Ladder Logic PLC control code
- Excellent hands-on mechanical and electrical skills
- A passion for tackling unfamiliar challenges and getting your hands dirty
Nice to haves
- Experience with agricultural systems
- Experience with 6-axis robotic arms
- Experience with Beckhoff PLC systems
- Experience with industrial safety systems
- Programming experience in a non-PLC language
- Iron Ox is a small startup with a big dream. You’ll be a part of a team founded on transparency, creativity, and impact on our mission to feed people.
- We’re in the heart of San Carlos, walking distance to Caltrain and great restaurants.
- We’re a tight-knit group that likes to work hard while also having fun with company outings and team events.
- We offer medical, dental and vision.
- We have a fresh salad bar for employees 5 days a week.