Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
San Carlos, CA
About Iron Ox
Iron Ox is reimagining the modern farm, utilizing robotics and AI to grow fresh, consistent, and responsibly farmed produce for everyone. Our experienced team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, and innovators are passionate about deeply understanding and developing this new wave of technology to feed an ever growing population. Iron Ox is a well-funded startup backed by Y Combinator, conveniently located near the CalTrain station in San Carlos, CA.
Who we're looking for:
At Iron Ox, we are automating the entire plant production process. From the development of multiple robot platforms, to our own custom hydroponic, seeding, and harvesting systems, we are taking a system level approach to creating the ideal farm. We are looking for a creative Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the team designing and developing this automated infrastructure. You will be integrated in all parts of the development process, from initial requirements and architecture layout, to detailed design and engineering, and ultimately fabricating various components of our system. This job requires a very hands on approach, and someone who thrives on ambiguity and creative freedom. The ability to work in a startup environment, take ownership, and drive a project to completion is essential.
What will you do here?
- You will own the entire product design lifecycle for various systems that make up the autonomous Iron Ox farm
- Work with internal teams to gather system requirements and compile requirements documents
- Generate early stage concepts and mock-ups
- Perform detailed system design and analysis
- Validate concepts through engineering models and prototypes
- Manage manufacturing release and drive outside vendors to deliver high quality products on time
- Support in the production and troubleshooting of first articles
- Work closely with industrial design, growing, robotics, software, project management, and electrical teams to design and produce automated greenhouse systems
- Perform mechanical analysis using FEA as well as traditional hand calculations for static and dynamic forces
- Specify industrial automation components such as motors, actuators, pneumatics, sensors, and safety systems
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- 5+ Years of experience working on a diverse array of projects
- Experience in a small team/startup environment, accomplishing big things with minimal resources
- A demonstrated ability to drive projects from initial concept through completion with minimal oversight
- Excellent SolidWorks skills with a commitment to best modeling practices
- Experienced in FEA (ANSYS, SolidWorks Simulation, etc.)
- Experienced in DFM and fabrication with plastics, sheet metal, weldments,and machined components
- A history of innovative problem solving and elegant design solutions
- General understanding of GD&T
- General understanding of tolerance analysis and stack up
- Experience manufacturing and prototyping in an array of engineering materials
- Experience in the design of mechanisms, linkages, and power transmission systems
- Ability to clearly illustrate engineering and design concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
Nice To Have
- Experience with PDM systems and engineering release processes
- Direct experience in the design of electromechanical machinery and robotics
- Design experience focusing on human interaction and safety
- Proficient at hands on metal fabrication (CNC Machining, welding, general shop tools)
- Experience designing and integrating industrial automation and motion control systems
- Proficient in designing industrial equipment at low to medium quantities
- Knowledge of electrical system function, layout, and integration
- A commitment to ID vision and an appreciation for the mix of form and function
- Iron Ox is a small startup with big dreams, you’ll be a part of a team founded on transparency, creativity, and impact on our mission to feed people.
- We’re in the heart of San Carlos walking distance to Caltrain and great restaurants.
- We’re a tight-knit group that likes to work hard while also having fun with company outings and team events.
- We offer medical, dental and vision.
- We have a fresh salad bar for employees 5 days a week.