Greenhouse Operations Supervisor
Gilroy, CA /
About Iron Ox
Iron Ox is re-imagining the modern farm, utilizing robotics and AI to grow fresh, consistent, and responsibly farmed produce for everyone. Our experienced team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, and innovators are passionate about deeply understanding and developing this new wave of technology to feed an ever-growing population. Iron Ox is a well-funded startup backed by Y Combinator, headquartered in San Carlos, CA with greenhouse production in Gilroy, CA.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for an experienced operations supervisor that will help us maintain and expand our new greenhouse facility in Gilroy, CA. Candidates must have a holistic understanding of the many factors that affect production operations and be prepared to think out of the box when solving problems. The ideal production supervisor is a motivated, organized individual with a passion for agriculture, leadership, and innovation.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Ability to work independently with strong time management
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to handle heavy equipment and machinery
- Proven ability to perform a variety of tasks under time constraints and strict deadlines
- Demonstrated efficiency, productivity, attention to detail, accuracy, and results orientated
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a BS in an appropriate curriculum
- 5-10 years of extensive, responsible experience in greenhouse management and / or produce operations including personnel supervision
- Must be fluent in English and Spanish
Physical Demands Requirements
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. regularly, and up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Ability to bend at the waist, crouch, stoop, squat, and kneel.
Work Environment Requirements
- Ability to work in greenhouse conditions, a wide range of temperatures, humidity, and sunlight.
- Strong odors from machinery, sanitizers, isopropyl alcohol, or bleach
- Occasional loud noises from machinery
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates with grow team and project leads on work plans to make recommendations for implementing greenhouse operational tasks and procedures
- Conducts training and implementation of standard operating procedures
- Supervises and evaluates job performance of assigned staff on a continual basis and recognize achievements and correct/address deficiencies or problems
- Approves work schedules for supportive staff; signs time sheets of supportive staff.
- Supports ongoing productivity improvements for greenhouse operations and staffing
- Inspects greenhouses, storage, handling facilities, and other auxiliary units supportive of the greenhouse
- Confers with and advises project leads on problems relative to greenhouse infrastructure, requests equipment and supplies
- Plans and supervises the cleaning and sanitation of growing and production (i.e. scales, harvest and packing tools) equipment
- Assigns processing space for research and/or engineering projects upon request and when available.
- Makes calculations of equipment up-time and supply needs and keeps documentation essential to estimating operational costs.
- Maintains inventory records and Kanban
- Directs the repair and preventative maintenance of greenhouse and auxiliary facilities and equipment.
- Completes forms related to work as required in accordance with food safety regulations.
- Acts as a leader and nurtures a work culture environment that promotes open, frequent, and dynamic communication and promotes teamwork to accomplish goals and objectives
Nice to Haves
- Experience with automated environmental control systems is a plus.
- Interest in the farming, food and robotics industries and love the fun of the startup environment and its culture.
- Iron Ox is a small startup with big dreams. You’ll be a part of a team founded on transparency, creativity, and impact on our mission to feed people.
- We’re a tight-knit group that likes to work hard while also having fun with company outings and team events.
- We offer medical, dental and vision.