Senior Mechanical Engineer.
San Carlos, CA
About Iron Ox
Iron Ox is building robotic greenhouses to supply fresh and sustainable produce to grocery stores and restaurants. We're a team from Willow Garage, Google[x], and Savioke that is passionate about developing the next wave of technology in food production. Iron Ox is a well-funded startup backed by Y Combinator and located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our team. You will lead mechanical design efforts for a range of challenges, from robotics to hydroponics, while working closely with our roboticists and growers to build the future of automated farming. This is a full-time position.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related field. MS preferred.
- 5+ years professional experience planning, designing and manufacturing mechanical systems.
- Experience in all phases of the design development process.
- Understanding of DFMA principles.
- Experience sourcing and managing outside vendors.
- Hands-on approach to prototyping using a variety of tools and equipment.
- Proficiency with CAD tools.
- Ability to devise test methods and interpret results.
- Comfortable working as part of a highly collaborative, fast-paced team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead projects from napkin sketch to completion.
- Define project requirements, specifications, and schedule milestones.
- Design, fabricate, and test mechanical components and assemblies.
- Source and manage vendors for part fabrication.
- Work with team members across different areas of expertise to meet project milestones.
Nice to have
- Preference given to experience designing for food and beverage industries with demonstrated knowledge of food safety, fluid handling, materials, etc.
- Experience taking a product/project from initial concept all the way to production.
- Experience with an array of manufacturing processes (injection molding, additive and subtractive methods, etc.)
- Prior work with junior engineers and or technicians.
- Exposure to a document control system.
- Experience working at an early-stage hardware startup.
- Experience with indoor farming and hydroponics.
- Strong interest in Ag tech.
- Fresh salad bar for employees.
- Build technology that feeds people.
- Medical, dental and vision.
- As an early employee, you’ll have key impact on the company.