Sr. Software Engineer - Backend
Palo Alto, CA /
We are one of the top 10 Big Data Startups of 2020 and builder of bi(OS), the world’s first truly hyper-converged data platform.
The opportunity - bi(OS) is not an iteration or amalgamation; we're creating something entirely new with nothing comparable in the market. It is an opportunity to build a data platform from the ground up.
The Team - Our founding team has pioneered outcomes in scale-out relational databases, applied AI, and high-performance storage for a wide variety of industries at innovators such as Microsoft, AWS, Cloudera, Tibco, BlueArc, Drobo, DataStax, and D.E. Shaw.
The Culture - We are a continuously learning, diverse team that leads with humility and pride. Our Chief Engineer has written 1000+ automated tests, our VP of Engineering is a prolific coder, and our CEO is the acting SRE. You will be surrounded by an engineering-first mindset and mentored by experienced coaches.
We are looking for an aspirational backend engineer who is a master of CS fundamentals, possesses clarity of design thought and is well versed in agile software engineering principles.
- You will work alongside one of your buddies to build the core capabilities of our backend platform. It will involve converting fuzzy requirements into manageable modules, performing high-level and low-level designs, evaluating options and trade-offs, breaking down tasks, and implementing them with a TDD mindset.
Must have Qualifications
- B.Tech in CS or EE from one of the reputed schools (IITs, BITS, NITs, or similar).
- 4+ years of prolific coding experience building distributed systems using one of Java, C/C++, Go.
- Experience working with remote teams built upon CI/CD and TDD principles.
Good to have Qualifications
- Experience committing to open source projects such as Cassandra, Hadoop, etc.
- Experience optimizing performance using OS and system internals.
- Experience building a vital module of a complex system from the ground up.
Who should not apply ?
- Engineers who want to rely upon open-source or cloud components. (We consider this integration rather than engineering.)
Building bi(OS) is a formidable goal and will require a lot of sweat and tears. Even by startup standards, we are intense, and we don’t like to cut corners.
You will be a Single Point of Failure (SPOF) for significant innovations. At times, you may feel overwhelmed, but you will always have fellow engineers to rely upon.
We do not value years of experience or management skills and downright abhor politics, sloppiness, and narcissism.
We have the right customers, team, and investors and are just getting warmed up! If you are a self-driven team-player, who takes pride in your craft, and knows to have fun along the way, let’s connect!